Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 indy 440, The speedo doenst work. The key is broken in the jackshaft. How do I get the broken part out of the shaft. I got the other part out of the housing but I cannot get the other piece out of the shaft. Help!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
if you could drill a hole in it then you could piut a screw in it, or maybe a magnet would because isn't the main shaft aluminum and tryhe parts steel, of you would try a cloths hanger and a car battery an use it like a arc welder and touch it to the piece then dissconect the batter and let it cool and try to pull it out

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The shaft is made of hardened steel. The key is flexible, like a square coil spring, and it has a hole in the center so try like matt said and use a screw or a pick or something to grab it. If you kept that bearing on the speedo side greased up, that key should slide ride out too. It should not be corroded.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Matt, is your real name Macgiver? [:D] The screw method should work. I would be careful with the battery sparks can cause the battery gasses to explode. The method does work, they actuall have welding rods that will bond with a broken bolt and fill the threads with slag so it can be srewed out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i've been asked that before. i wouldn't try the battery way on this because it is such a small piece and you will probably end up welding it in there.

·
Registered
777 Posts
just to add my .002Cents,did you check the bearing on the speedo end of the axle,bad bearings is what takes out a lot of speedo drives

1 - 7 of 7 Posts