Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the speedo cable from the reduction drive and then try spinning the inner cable and watch the speedo itself to see if the needle moves at all??? you say that the speedo drive key is not broken so it could be the one of three other things, #1 the speedo drive reduction unit, #2 the cable itself, or #3 the speedometer, it should not be all that hard to single it down to what is the problem as all the components are mechanical so its a matter of checking all the components that are involved to find out which one is bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
98700xc said:
Have you tried disconnecting the speedo cable from the reduction drive and then try spinning the inner cable and watch the speedo itself to see if the needle moves at all??? you say that the speedo drive key is not broken so it could be the one of three other things, #1 the speedo drive reduction unit, #2 the cable itself, or #3 the speedometer, it should not be all that hard to single it down to what is the problem as all the components are mechanical so its a matter of checking all the components that are involved to find out which one is bad.
ok thanks guys ill try that stuff

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would bet the cable is the issue. Never seen the speedometer go bad. The only time I've seen the speedo drive unit not work is if the key has broke and got jammed in there. When you spin one end of the speedo cable, the other end should spin too. You will have to disconnect both ends of the speedo cable to do this, you will never be able to spin one end of it fast enough by hand and in hopes of seeing the speedometer needle move.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
I would bet the cable is the issue. Never seen the speedometer go bad. The only time I've seen the speedo drive unit not work is if the key has broke and got jammed in there. When you spin one end of the speedo cable, the other end should spin too. You will have to disconnect both ends of the speedo cable to do this, you will never be able to spin one end of it fast enough by hand and in hopes of seeing the speedometer needle move.
ok

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
How hard is it to replace the speedo cable on an Edge? I have never taken one off. Will I have to remove the clutches to get access to that area? I blew a belt last winter and it kinked the speedo cable. I think it broke internally because my speedo hasn't worked since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts