Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a problem with my speedo not working .. "90 indy 500" checked the cable seems ok some say that it might be a bearing in the drive gear?

·
Registered
593 Posts
It could be that your bearing is shot, how much of the cable is sticking out into the speedo and the driveshaft, becuase it could be that a piece is broken off... or your speedo is just junk.

Ryan

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check where the speedo cable connects with the driveshaft. I had the same problem, the little piece that went from the shfat to the speedo cable sheared off do to a driveshaft bearing failure. Hope this helps. Darren

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Definately check your drive shaft bearing tho... last two times my speedo went out it was because my bearing was going.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If the bearing is going out, you will want to change it before you do any riding! leaving it go, can result in more damage and more cost's!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
What you will hvae to do is take the speedo housing off, then pull out the key and check the bearing. The key might be broken off in side you you have to pick it out or some how push it farther in.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I have heard that if your speedo stops working due to that key being broke, you have a real short time before that bearing goes out completely. On my Powder Special I actually had the outer race of the bearing broke w/o breaking the key.

[attachment=49343]

I had indication that the bearing was bad besides I heard a weird clicking noise at certain times. Dumped a bunch of grease into that bearing and the noise went away. Tore it down and found that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
in some cases its neither the cable or the bearing going. it could be just as simple as cleaning out the housing that holds the pin in place. i would try cleaning this out before you do anything. once you do this make sure everything spins freely, and if it still breaks or doesn't work after that, you could be looking at a new cable or changing your drive bearing. good luck, keep us posted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.