Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so when I bought my sled (99 600xcsp), I bought it with a broken speedometer "pin"(basically a 2inch long metal stick of a thing that determins the speed readout depending on the amount of turns it makes. sorry if I'm really not explaining it right, but hopefully some of you know what the hell I'm talking about).
So I've got a new one, and I'm pretty sure theres not much more than moving the clutch secondary for a while to change this pin (but if there's more to it, please let me know what i need to do [:p]). My question is what causes this? The guy I bought it off told me it happens all the time. But does it happen all the time to this sled or all 600XCs.... My uncle's thinking it could be jackshaft or bearings somewhere that are putting stress on the pin that aren't supposed to be there.
ANYWAY, I'm just wondering because I'd like to find the bigger problem -if there is one- and fix it before I install the new pin.
Thanks !

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
A broken speedo-shaft is something that does happen, how often? dunno.. I've had broken two on my '97 Indy 500 SKS in as many years. Mainly due to a driveshaft bearing going; so, definately check your driveshaft bearing. And use good grease after putting everything back together.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Many times, when the pin fails, it's caused by the bearing on the drive shaft starting to fail, dropping the drive shaft ever so slightly, causing the stress to shear the pin.

You could be lucky, and the speedometer gear adapter could be frozen up, or the cable from the speedometer gear adapter to the speedometer could be frozen up, but... check that bearing! It's WAY cheaper to repair the bearing BEFORE it takes out the whole side of the sled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When the bearing on the clutch side of the jack shaft blows out a good indication is that the speedo stops working. Check and or replace that bearing or you will will also need to replace your jackshaft, gearcase, gears and chain as my buddy found out when he ignored his speedo after it quit working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts