Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 polaris XC500 has a problem with the speedometer. the light works on it, and all the icon lights on the bottom work fine, but my odometer doesnt register and my needle doesnt move. Whats going on here??????????? any support is greatly appreciated. Thank you very mucvh

· Registered
127 Posts
DChaltry said:
My 2000 polaris XC500 has a problem with the speedometer. the light works on it, and all the icon lights on the bottom work fine, but my odometer doesnt register and my needle doesnt move. Whats going on here??????????? any support is greatly appreciated. Thank you very mucvh
Check the connection between the speedo cable and the speedometer, if that is good, you mave have sheared the key between your jackshaft and cable hookup. When is the last time you replaced jackshaft bearings?

· Registered
1,405 Posts
heyy question, anyone know if ther is a light on the tach so it lights up like the speedo on an 02 edge? i wasnt sure and cant remeber when i purchased if there was or not!?

· Registered
155 Posts
bj.hardy said:
heyy question, anyone know if ther is a light on the tach so it lights up like the speedo on an 02 edge? i wasnt sure and cant remeber when i purchased if there was or not!?
Yea there is.

· Registered
1,405 Posts
Abbott911 said:
bj.hardy said:
Yea there is.
thanks

· Registered
511 Posts
Most likely a sheared key (between the speedo driver housing and the drive shaft). When that key shears it is often caused by play in the drive shaft due to a worn bearing (but not necessarily). When you replace the key it's important to check the bearing for any play because if you continue to run a worn drive shaft bearing it will cause more extensive (an expensive) damage.

A sheared speedo key can also be caused by moisture getting in the speedo drive unit and freezing, causing it to bind up and shear the key.

motor-king said:
Check the connection between the speedo cable and the speedometer, if that is good, you mave have sheared the key between your jackshaft and cable hookup. When is the last time you replaced jackshaft bearings?
Jack shaft?

· Registered
127 Posts
old_school said:
Most likely a sheared key (between the speedo driver housing and the drive shaft). When that key shears it is often caused by play in the drive shaft due to a worn bearing (but not necessarily). When you replace the key it's important to check the bearing for any play because if you continue to run a worn drive shaft bearing it will cause more extensive (an expensive) damage.

A sheared speedo key can also be caused by moisture getting in the speedo drive unit and freezing, causing it to bind up and shear the key.

motor-king said:
Jack shaft?
Your driveshaft has nothing to do with your cable connection, it's called a jackshaft. It's the upper shaft with the secondary clutch on one side and your upper gear into your chaincase on the other. Your driveshaft is below through your track.

· Registered
180 Posts
motor-king said:
I'm sorry, major brain fart.... Too early in the morning! The driveshaft is where your speedo connects, not the jackshaft! Duh...
yeah... I was just thinking tha that didnt make a whole lot of sense, nothing a cup o joe cant cure though!

Its has been my experience that when that key breaks your bearing is bad. I lucked out one season on my old xc 500 i noticed the speedo wasnt worknig and thought nothing of it. i was out carvin up some powder in a field not too far from home when I was all done I pulled into the garage and checked it out and there was no internale left to the bearing, just the outer and inner races. I must have ridden 25 miles with that speedo not working, and i was riding hard too. When you get it all fixed keep that housing greased up good. I usually grease mine at the beginning mdway and at the end of the season, just for good measure.

· Registered
511 Posts
motor-king said:
Your driveshaft has nothing to do with your cable connection, it's called a jackshaft. It's the upper shaft with the secondary clutch on one side and your upper gear into your chaincase on the other. Your driveshaft is below through your track.
I posted good info, and you come along and tell me I full of crap? Un-frigging-believable. Are you that starving for attention?

It's not enough that people spew misinformation all over this forum, they have to act like snotty spoiled brats when you call them on it and try to correct the misinformation.

1FastSPX97 said:
Its has been my experience that when that key breaks your bearing is bad.
That is not necessarily true. A bad drive shaft bearing is a common cause, but not automatically/exclusively the cause. The bearing should definitely be checked when the key is sheared, but it doesn't automatically mean that it's bad. I've had to replace a sheared key on a sled with less than 1000 miles on it, and the bearing was still good as new.

· Registered
450 Posts
old_school said:
motor-king said:
I posted good info, and you come along and tell me I full of crap? Un-frigging-believable. Are you that starving for attention?

It's not enough that people spew misinformation all over this forum, they have to act like snotty spoiled brats when you call them on it and try to correct the misinformation.

1FastSPX97 said:
That is not necessarily true. A bad drive shaft bearing is a common cause, but not automatically/exclusively the cause. The bearing should definitely be checked when the key is sheared, but it doesn't automatically mean that it's bad. I've had to replace a sheared key on a sled with less than 1000 miles on it, and the bearing was still good as new.
That is true, everyone calm down. This happened to me this year. And like a moron, i kept riding without checking the problem. Long story short, new drive shaft + clutchside and crank bearings+ housing clips. Needless to say, when your speedo goes out check everything, a 100 dollar fix can save you a grand in the long run

· Registered
127 Posts
old_school said:
motor-king said:

1FastSPX97 said:
Old School, I just apologized and said major brain fart. Don't get you panties in a bunch. Typical keyboard nazi.

· Registered
511 Posts
motor-king said:
Old School, I just apologized and said major brain fart. Don't get you panties in a bunch. Typical keyboard nazi.
My "panties in a bunch"? "keyboard nazi"? So now after basically telling me I'm full of crap, your going to insult me and stoop to childish name calling? Seriously? You would not talk to me like that to my face (not more than once anyway). Does it make you feel giddy as a school girl with a new prom dress to insult people from behind the safety of a keyboard? That is truly pathetic.

· Registered
127 Posts
old_school said:
motor-king said:
My "panties in a bunch"? "keyboard nazi"? So now after basically telling me I'm full of crap, your going to insult me and stoop to childish name calling? Seriously? You would not talk to me like that to my face (not more than once anyway). Does it make you feel giddy as a school girl with a new prom dress to insult people from behind the safety of a keyboard? That is truly pathetic.
lol, good stuff. I apologized about the driveshaft thing, you are right. As far as me being scared of you with threats? I don't think so bud. Let's stay on topic here. I am sorry for any confusion.

· Registered
42 Posts
Wouldn't he want to rule out the cable first? I'd pull the cable off the speedo, set the sled up on a stand and run it to see if it's spins. If it dosen't, then remove the cable at the drive housing and look to see if it spins there. All I'm saying is that it could just be the cable, before he tears into it. I've seen cables go bad with a few miles on them. [thumb]

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
motor-king said:
DChaltry said:
I just replaced the jackshaft, berrings, and gearbox last year.

· Registered
511 Posts
DChaltry said:
I just replaced the jackshaft, berrings, and gearbox last year.
Jack shaft bearings and chain case don't come into question with a speedometer issue, although I can understand where the confusion is coming from.

First thing to check is the key between the drive shaft and the speedometer drive housing. If that key is sheared (most likely is), then you need to inspect the drive shaft bearing for play, and test to see if the speedometer cable and drive mechanism spin freely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.