Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i unscrewed the cable around the clutch part adn that things inside is still stickin out(key thing) is there another one at the top attached to the speedometer, what else would be wrong?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well first turn the speedo cable, if the spedometer moves at all i'm guessing the angle drive gears are stripped.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just had to fix the speedo on my ZR. The speedo adapter under the driven clutch was screwed up and had to be replaced. When it screwed up, the key between it and the driveshaft sheared off as well. If you take off this speedo adapter, make sure you check the bearing behind it on the shaft. On AC's the speedo key sometimes breaking into is an indication that the bearing is failing. If the key is broken there, they're a bear to get out. Do a search, and you'll find several methods to get it out.

By the way, I turned the speedo cable with a drill while my wife watched the speedo. It barely moved because it takes quite a few rpm to register.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried taking that adapter thingy off under the clutch but the damn clutch is in the way and its hard to get to it, and you cant see crap

·
Registered
227 Posts
Try taking off the secondary clutch, It makes it easier. I had the same thing happened to me. It turned out that the key coming off the drive shaft had sheared off because the drive shaft bearing had come apart. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont want to mess with the clutch

·
Registered
228 Posts
Right know my tach is not working at idle speed i have a post with one reply any ideas?
sorry to get off topic but check ur speedo bearing. That could need to be replaced. They cost about 60-80 dollars.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
checked both ends on the speedo cable and they both have a pin thing in it

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
My speedometer doesn't work either. It hasn't worked for years now...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh ya, you ride the trails superpat?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My speedo broke apart a week ago because it wasn't working and it turned out to be that the cable broke inside! Find some way to turn the cable. If you have to take off the clutch then do that...w/e it takes...

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
put a drill on the end of the speedo cable and spin it if your speedo moves its the speedo key. if its the speedo key get ready to do drive shaft bearings. thats the only reason they do break like that

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]put a drill on the end of the speedo cable and spin it if your speedo moves its the speedo key. if its the speedo key get ready to do drive shaft bearings. thats the only reason they do break like that
i didnt understand that last part

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so theres another key apart from the two in the cable?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Originally posted by ski-dooguy
[br]so theres another key apart from the two in the cable?
That adapter under the clutch where the cable attaches to has a key that goes into the drive axle. When that side axle bearing goes it sheers the key off. I had first hand experience up in michigan with my sled, said 90 one second, 0 the next.[:(!]

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the key isnt broken

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ok....the part that is broken is completley seperat from tha cable. the cable is probably fine...you gotta take the clutch off its one bolt and it just slides off no messing around you cant screw anything up it super simple....then take the cable off the adapter in the bottom and take the three nuts off the pull the adapter off the bolts...in the center of the shaft that flush with the tunnel there should be a square key. they is possibly broken.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aren't the clutches aligned?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unscrewed both ends of speedo cord and it turned, took the clutch or wheel thingy at the back off, took off the adapter, and that key was broken , i went to the shop, bought one for 4,25$, put it in, put everything back together, and it now works, saved myself more then 75$, buy doing it myself rather then letting that mechanic do it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts