Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you guys tell me about a speedway blue max. This is one sled that I don't know much about, I heard that they were made by somebody who split off the company that made the Brut? I found a 294 (it was 29something, I don't remember for sure) it now has an arctic cat 440 with a suspension and seat off something else. If I end up buying the raider from the guy I might be able to get this one cheap

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I found one myself. Guy on Vintagesleds told me it's the most unsafe thing he's ever ridden. A "hopped up" 440 Kohler fan in it, with a 96 inch track said it's almost impossible to control. My kind of sled! Where's the fun if you can't get hurt?

Bryan

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Definetly buy the speedway. They are worth a lot and very cool looking race sleds. They are also pretty rare.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ski-doo211
[br]Definetly buy the speedway. They are worth a lot and very cool looking race sleds. They are also pretty rare.
how much do you think it's worth?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Do you have any pics of it? How much do you think he'll want.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any pics, I think he wants in the 4-500 range.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by Junkrider
[br]it now has an arctic cat 440 with a suspension and seat off something else.
It really doesn't sound like its much of a Speedway anymore, IMO

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Originally posted by Junkrider
[br]I don't have any pics, I think he wants in the 4-500 range.
400-500 Is probably about what a basket case is worth, not really a steal but you can probably make money if you fix it up. I would say go for it, because people go crazy over them, just watch ebay when one goes on.

·
Registered
510 Posts
yeah 4-500 would be a decent deal. to be worth real money you need to scrap that arctic motor and what ever suspension is in it ASAP. they take kohler free air triples and twins great motors verry fast and light sleds and yes hard to handle becuase of the power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You will see Speedways at vintage shows today...or maybe at a vintage drag. I remember them in the early 70's...most often with Kohler Free Air engines with the Star-Burst Heads. This was pre-Twister and they had an unbelievable power to weight ratio. The problem with them was fouling out at the line. More often than not, if they fouled out, the driver could not get it restarted in time. Some of them had a pully on the Mag side and they actually used a chain saw to start them with (tightened a belt into the pully to spin the engine). Never will get the smell of a Speedway burning Klotz out of my head.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you can get the sled for cheap enough, go for it. I had a 72 440 Free Air and a 340 Fan. Both sled were very quick and so light. It didn't matter if you hit the throttle or eased into it, the ski would lift every time. To make the sled right and max the value, you need the original suspension and engine. I sold my sleds to an old friend about 17 years ago as parts sleds. He might still have some of the parts. Try to find the original Kohler Free Air or the also came with a 340 Sachs Fan cooled. Try Bob Christie for parts in Ohio at (330)847-0860. He deals in old snowmobile parts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am a vintage snowmobile collector. One of my favorites is Speedway.

They were manufactured by Speedway Products of Mansfield, Ohio for the 1972 to 1974 model years. The were built in the home town of Rupp, and had robbed a few of their employees, but there was no actual business relationship between the companies. The most common models by far are the 440 twins, made all three years with Kohler SS free-airs with around 60 horsepower at 8500 rpms. The major difference was the '72 had one can-style pipe in the nose, and one beside the engine. The headlight was in the middle in '72, and there was no reverse air scoop on top of the hood. To try to address heat issues, the later Speedways had twin ACS canister mufflers with "handles" mounted beside the engine and covered with a heat shield. A scoop was added and the headlight was off-set in the ram air opening. The first year 340 was a Sachs fan-cooled with 28 horse @ 7000 and very few were built. The 1973-'74 340 was a twin Kohler RS engine, actually with a better port design and more head bolts than the 440. The same pipes as the later 440. These were about 55 horse. There was a 295 Kohler twin RS engine with upper 40s for horsepower that was offered in 1974 only, but a few were probably sold in '73. Among the factory race models was the '74 only 440 triple RS, which was the 295 with an extra cylinder and open pipes. One pipe was under the hood, and one ran down each side of the pan. This was good for 75+ horses. Lastly, we have the 650 triple, a 440, plus a cylinder. The K645-3SS engine with open triple pipes had over 90 horsepower. A few 100+ horse 650-3RS engines were installed in factory racers. There were no headlight or taillight on race sleds.

The name "Blue Max" is not on the hood decal of 1972 model.

A summary of strengths:1) lighter weight. Not Liquid Sno-Twister of Thunder-Jet light, but much more rigidly built than them. 2)Strong pulling and high reving Kohler power. 3)very sleek design pleasing to the eye. 4) Very cool sound 5)unique handling is lively (can we say over-steer) and responsive.

A sum of weaknesses: 1)440 and larger engines highly prone to run hot and vapor-lock the fuel. 2)Tillitson and Walbro pumper carbs require a lot of tinkering 3)TRACK FAILURES! The cleated tracks from Goodyear helped sink Speedway. These cleats were Vulconized on, or glued to the track by only rubber. These failed from day one. Any good track should be drilled and rivited to prevent the bars flying off, and likely lodging in the tunnel, doing much damage. Due to short length, replacement rubber tracks are a problem. 4)These are meant for ice and road-running. They aren't good in deeper snow. 5) That "livley" handling will scare the heck out of those who are not accustomed to Speedway's "feel". 6)Replacement windshieds are finally being re-produced. These were impossable to get forever. Blue-tinted and pretty, the brake lever often broke them. Decals are also available. Engine parts are still sold. Engines can be found. But, in addition to good tracks, seats and snowflaps are a rare and expensive find. 7)While the blue matal flake paint and chrome was pretty when new, it is best to find a cleaner sled to restore. Few places can paint this finish, and they will stick it to you to do it. The chrome on the skis is always bad. If yours isn't too pitted, a replate job will run around $250 a pair. Bumper chrome should be decent, or this will cost you, too. On a paint re-lated note, wet sanding a silver-grey faided hood will return about 75% of the deep blue color. It is under the surface layer of metal flakes, protected from the sun. Just clear-coat the sanded hood, and apply the decals.

In the condition described, 500 would be on the high-end of reason. It will take a lot of time and money to bring it back to it's glory. I am definately not trying to discourage anyone, though. I am just saying I'd make an offer a couple of hundred lower. He may take it. A clean and correct Blue Max will likely bring $1200 to 1500. A decent restoration sled, with most every correct part could be found for 500 with some luck. They will likely be fair bit more though. I saw a showroom 295 bring $1800 a few years ago. A triple, probably 3000-4000 easily.

I have 4 Speedways. A 1972 440, a '72 650, a '74 Blue Max 295, and a '74 440.

I know, my first post was a long one. If you have any more questions of comments, I invite them.

-Les in MI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That would be a pretty lucky guess, Bryan. I am he. I have been a regular poster for a couple of years now on another popular site like this one under the alias of "vintage sled nut".

·
Registered
295 Posts
if you do a search online and look up a comapny called GROWTH PRODUCTS in michigan they still make NEW Kohler engines for like Skiroule and possibly Speedway check them out
also you can get the motors with point or with CDI ignition

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 650 Speedway was a bit heavy....with fuel, it weighed over 400 pounds. With a replacement track & hex drive, along with some porting, the 650 really came to life and was a lake rocket!!!

~Smirnoff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts