Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's 5am now. got home from the ER a little after 4am.

i put my 800 back together finally. started it for the first time with the twin pipes. put the new track in it. go the ATACC hooked up.

decided i'd go around the yard once. went across the yard once and back. it's daaamn fast. no studs in the track yet and it still pulled the skis up hard.

went around one more time. was coming back toward the house, from a stop i stood up and put my weight back. put the throttle to the bar. in probably about 1 second the sled came all the way up and over. the rear bumper hit so hard i believe it actually became airborne for a second. i fell back and tried to get out of the way but it landed on my head.

so, here's there extremely stupid part. i wasn't wearing a helmet. i'm a big advocate of helmets but for some reason i looked at it and walked out of the garage without putting it on.

somehow i didn't get knocked out. i didn't know where i was for a minute. was bleeding like you wouldnt' believe. the whole left half of my head and face was completely covered in blood. not exactly sure what hit me, i think it was the handlebar. which is now bent. the steering post is bent. the back of the tunnel is bent, the rear bumper is garbage. pics of that tomorrow.

spent a couple hours in ER, got 10 staples in my head. a split second stupid decision could have turned me into a vegetable. now i have to get my sled straightened out this week. i leave a week from this coming monday on my annual snowmobile trip.

don't be an idiot like i was tonight, wear your helmet always. i did get a concusion and i'm really surprised it didn't knock me out cold. i've been knocked out before and i was close tonight. hundreds of pounds to the side of the head is no fun.

by the way, the sled is sick to say the least. very fast.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow![:0]got lucky dude,glad that sled didn't land on you.Even a slight concussion can leave ya feeling real sick the next few days.You'll be hurtin for certain,tomorrow.Some R&R and you'll be new again[:D]

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
You're lucky you get to worry about fixing your sled. I went for rip in the field out back yesterday after I put my old C&A skis on my sled. Wanted to see what the REV was going to be like with them. However, I did put my helmet on. Nothing bad happened but as you said it's better to be safe than sorry. Pics should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
DAMN!,,,,,,Dude,,best take it easy for a bit. Head injury's have a way of sneaking up on you day's or even week's later.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Better stick to sno-cross,its sounding safer than your yard!I bet Caroll was a little upset.I'll have them studs for you this week but I dont know if you should put them in.Maybe if you put a throttle limiter on I'll sell them to you.LOL

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Yeah thats sucks man, get a helmet on next I just got out of the er sunday also with a hip contusion, I thought i broke my hip

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
That right there is the exact reason I won't even go around my yard once without a helmet.

Hope the sleds fixable. And good thing your alright.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Its good that you will recover quickly, but the one positive note...thats one hell of a story to go with any scars. How many sleds will truely flip back from a standing start? Hope you heal quick and wear a lid next time!

·
Registered
893 Posts
man im glad your ok! i had a stupid accident a few days ago also i caught a ski in a road and got some road rash the cars had to stop also. your sled must be CRAZY fast!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
wow your lucky!

sometimes we have to learn lessons the hard way. At least you don't have an avatar like mine.

Post up some pictures of your head if you get any

·
Registered
237 Posts
Your lucky that didnt crack your head open! But look ont he bright side your ok and you sill have a sled to drive if there is snow around.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
take your time and get well soon. and when you get better use a helmet and get the sounds clip of those mean twins, lol. hope for a quick healing sesion. get well soon bro.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everyone.

jimboweedin - it DID land on me, right on the side of my head. the lucky part is that my head wasn't on the ground so it bounced off. i was on my knees trying to get out of the way. i saw it coming back and i turned, that's why it got me in the side of the head.

Sickler- moms didn't even know anything about it until this morning. she saw the hospital stuff on the table and then felt the need to wake me up to ask if i was alright lol i contemplated waking her up before i went to the hospital but i knew she would have been a wreck.

feeling alright now. just really tired from the long night. the accident happened at probably about 1:45am. got to the hospital at about 2:15am. luckily my buddy Dan was with me to drive me to the hospital.

right after i crashed he came to the back yard to see what happened. apparently in my dazed stupor i stumbled away from the sled after i got up, he said was was just kinda walking around leaning over. i remember it all accept actually walking away from the sled. then i could feel the blood pouring down my head and face so i went inside. he was out there trying to start the sled and it was flooded out so i just yelled out for him to take me to the hospital. i was kinda nausious for a while.

this is the first time i got staples to close up a wound, i've only had stitches before. i'll get a pic of my head too. if i can i'll try to get a pic of the spot where it happened, you can see by how short the track on the ground is that it happened really fast.

·
Registered
380 Posts
glad to hear that you are alright. last year when I had a broken arm I wanted to ride my dirt bike and I thought I didn't need a helmet because I (thought) I was going to go slow , well I flipped the bike end over end and was vary lucky. As i said before glad to hear that you are alright! oh and your sled sounds kick a$$

·
Registered
803 Posts
WOOW. Thats one close call. Glas your all right. I gotta feelig you wont be going anywhere anymore without that skull cap.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here are the pics

[galleryattach=15303]

[galleryattach=15299]

[galleryattach=15300]

[galleryattach=15302]

[galleryattach=15301]

only took about 30 feet from a dead stop to flipped over.

[galleryattach=15304]

[galleryattach=15306]

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Glad to hear you're gonna be alright!
Yesterday was not a good day for a few of Us.
Rick

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Youch! I have the pleasure of saying I have had staples in my scalp before also. Although mine was from when I was little, I was jumping on the bed and hit my head on some wood molding and split my scalp a little. Boy does it bleed!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts