Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys this might sound dumb but here goes. I just received a set of SPI pistons for a 800 XCSP polaris and the rings are two different colors. One is silver/grey and the other is black. This would be on the flat portion that fits in the ring groove. The silver/grey one has a red dot on the edge where it would ride against the cylinder. Which one goes on top. I have used SPI before and never seen this.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
should have directions for those SPI'S

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
ok. put the rings in the pistons. they will go on either way. but if they are upside down they will want to lock in the piston. I have sold a lot of spis this year and havent heard of different colors. if both rings look alike and fit both slots ok then there shouldnt be much issue.

the rings of the spis are as good as oem. the pistons are a cheap tiwan knock off. for a 10k mile sled they wont work. for a sled that is only going to get a couple thousand miles they are worth a try.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Spi's are good pistons. If you do an internet search you will find nothing negative on them.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I didnt say they were bad. but hit the skirts with a hammer on oem and on spis. the oem will bend and spis will break. like I said, I have them in my sled and sell a butt load of them with no complaints.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
^ Forged - bend ... Cast - break... Right?

Are SPI's cast or forged.

I spent 4 hrs reading crap all over the net about SPI's.. I only saw one negative problem. And he said the SPI's busted in both his sleds. That lead me to believe he probably put them in wrong.

I am going to get them as long as the rings are not chrome. Nikasilled cylinders can't run chrome rings (according to the place that nikasill's cylinders and al's snowmobile parts). I expect these babies to last 6,000 miles.. then I will do another top end rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts