Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Wiseco stuff is good but I can get two teflon coated SPI piston kits for the price of one non coated wiseco kit. Anyone have anything to say about SPIs quality vs Wisecos. I heard SPI and kimpex are the same and I'v only heard bad about Kimpex.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I put Wisecos in my Indy 500 and have had no problems at all. They are forged pistons so you have to warm them up real good before riding. I have heard nothing but good about SPI. I don't think they are the same as Kimpex. All I hear about Kimpex is bad. Im going to use SPI on my next rebuild.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Originally posted by 900geek
[br]I too hears that people are having really good luck with the spi,and i would buy anything but a wiseco
and why exactly would that be??

I would definetly go with wiseco, but for what its worth i would rate SPI right there with OEM, they are comparable quality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have also heard good things about SPI buddy at work put them in his machine this year and has had no problems...well yet anyway. I have put the kimpex pistons in other peoples machines probably 3 years ago and none of them have had troubles. I have heard bad things abput the weisco pistons.. well i dont know if its true but i have heard that when they get extremely heated they almost turn egg shaped until cooled.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
usually ,any piston is good ,has to be set up right ,and always remember ,warmup warmup warmup

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've used both, and never had any problems with the SPI pistons. The only problem I've ever had with a wiseco piston was a snap ring coming out and wedging itself bewteen the cylinder wall and the piston. Finished the piston and cylinder, but in hindisght, I probably didn't seat the snap ring in its groove properly when I put it together.

·
Registered
282 Posts
^^^^I remember the years pre prolite when their durability was crap,and just the fact they are forged and need special treatment that a cast doesnt,ive had my run with wiseco and wouldnt buy no more forgings for anything i ride ...ever

·
Registered
213 Posts
I put a set of SPI pistons in my XCR at the start of last season never had any isues took the pipes off this summer and everything that I could see was still clean so I would say they are good pistons and would purches another set.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
In my experiance this is my opinion...

SPI = Cheapest for a reason, they are not the best quality. Have heard of more problems then good from a few of my buddies.

Wiseco = Great pistons, I have ran them in every rebuild I have ever done. Like others said, ALWAYS WARM UP PROPERLY, or your burn your motor up pretty quick. Might I add I run wisecos in my 98 440 and that motor is tuned to the max, balls to the walls.

OEM = I would definately run them, the only complaint is that they are very expensive from the dealer. You might get lucky and pick up a pair for cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Do a search on the net and you will find alot less problem with the SPI piston than the Wiseco's. I was skeptical about using the SPI's but after do some research, I pput them in both my machines.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i have heard alot of bad things from my cousins about wiseco pistons. they will not use them in any of their sleds and not one sled that they have build since 1989 has wiseco pistons, they have heard bad tjhings from people that use them and weill not use them at all.

my cousins are iantomasi racing and they are well known in the snowmobile business, so i will take their word.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i got wiescos in my sled dirtbike and street stock engine i dont have a problem with them you just have to properly warm teh engine up and make sure you get the pistons measure them and get the cylinders bore dtyo teh proper cleaence forged pistons just arent forgiving if you just bore it and toss fresh pistons in without chechking clearances or use oem clearances for cast pistions then you will have bad luck with them...why do high performance cars form teh factory and race cars use forged pistons??????? because they are stronger.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Originally posted by XCRacer440
[br]In my experiance this is my opinion...

SPI = Cheapest for a reason, they are not the best quality. Have heard of more problems then good from a few of my buddies.

Wiseco = Great pistons, I have ran them in every rebuild I have ever done. Like others said, ALWAYS WARM UP PROPERLY, or your burn your motor up pretty quick. Might I add I run wisecos in my 98 440 and that motor is tuned to the max, balls to the walls.

OEM = I would definately run them, the only complaint is that they are very expensive from the dealer. You might get lucky and pick up a pair for cheap on ebay.
Quality isn't an issue. Lost a few motors using wiesco's. They say it's a heat issue. I think it's a heat issue directly related to their pistons. For anything outside of pro racing, SPI piston kits are the best. Had no failures since switching from wiesco to SPI.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally posted by Ultra680
[br]
Originally posted by XCRacer440
[br]In my experiance this is my opinion...

Quality isn't an issue. Lost a few motors using wiesco's. They say it's a heat issue. I think it's a heat issue directly related to their pistons. For anything outside of pro racing, SPI piston kits are the best. Had no failures since switching from wiesco to SPI.
have you every had heavy or even light detonation in a cast piston equiped engine? even light detonation on a cast piston can crush a ring land and destroy the piston. forged pistons dont have this problem.

i could almost garantee that every clown that swears against wiseco or any forged pistons is not becuase you have had bad "luck" its because the piston was NOT properly SETUP and or WARMED up.

The metalurgical construction of forged pistons is simply superior to that of cast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts