Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips on getting a Polaris spider off the shaft without using a special spider tool? I got the jam nut off using a punch, but I can't get the spider to move, and since it is cast aluminum, I don't want to pound on it too hard. I have soaked it in WD 40, but can't get it to budge. If I have to buy the tool I will, but of course I would prefer not to.

·
Registered
777 Posts
BUY the tool,those things are on there real tight,some even lock tighted,,i,ve had to heat some up ,,
and to top it off,you have to tighten it back on, real tight to.
way back when,the first time i tried to cheat one off,broke a piece off the spider,

·
Registered
957 Posts
I agree.... Get the tool..... the odds are yo'll damage the spider with out it.... and if i'm not mistaken... if you damage your polaris spider you're getting a whole new clutch as they don't sell the spider sepperatly... You'll also need some way of holding that clutch still while you're torquing!

Maybe take it to your local shop along with a 12-pack of something... They'll probably help ya out if you don't want to spend around $60 for the tool and a clutch holder!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Suggest taking it to a dealer with a case of beer, that's what I did. Cheaper than buying the tool since you shouldn't need to take you spider off very often.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am going to buy the tool. I've only been snowmobiling a couple of years, so I don't know all the maintenance routines. I have swapped the suspension before, but I have always stayed away from the clutch because I wasn't familiar with it. This year I have gone through the sled pretty thoroughly, as I had a very bad bog on my last ride at the end of the season. I suspected carburator problems, so I tore them down and cleaned them put a new throttle cable and fuel pump and filter on. I ran fine with the rear end up so I thought I had solved the problem. This summer I swapped tracks, recharged rear shocks, put new fox shocks on front, realigned front end, and then looked at the clutches. Put a 40/36 helix and new spring from SLP in the secondary and then took off the primary. It is in such bad shape I am not sure I can rebuild it. The weights are a mess (hence my bog), but the shaft that the cover rides on is worn badly. I could possibly turn it on a lathe and make my own cover bushing, but I think I will swap it for the clutch on my 95 Super Sport. The fixed sheeve doesn't look exactly the same, but I will take some measurements at work tomorrow to see if they are interchangeable. Then I will change the SS clutch over for the Indy 500 with new weights and bushings, and rebuild the bad one for the Super Sport. I have been working on my sled for virtually the entire summer.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Ray If your clutch is in that bad of shape go to a swap meet and find a good used one. It is not recomended to mix and match parts from different clutches unless you can get it balanced. Riley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts