Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone got my sled back from the shop about a week ago and he bored out 1 cylinder .20 over with a new piston. It ran fine and every thing the 1st week but now when i start it and let it warm up it spits and backfires out of the muffler. And also when its all warmed up and i get on and try to go it just sits their and smokes. and then after i get going about 5 miles an hour it kicks in and runs fine but still spits out of muffler. Anyone know whats going on? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
oh my sled is a 91 indy 650 triple

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I think its getting to much fuel somehow. Check your plugs and floats, neattles and seats.

·
Registered
366 Posts
they r located in your carbs. You will have to remove you carbs. If your sled is a 91 and you havn't done anything i would change the needles and seats just as maintenence. I changed mine in my XLT and that brought it back to life. That should fix the backfireing problem but i have no experiencewith a sled spitting out of the exhaust

Rich

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright im not going to mess with the carbs so i`ll just bring it down and have someone that knows what theyre doing do it but any other input is appreciated

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The float you can try is dislodge if it may have gotten stuck by tapping the bottom of the carb... If that doesn't work, then you have to open it up and see how it looks...Check your plug spark also...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright i dont have much of an idea what your talking about can you say that in laymans terms (in my case stupid terms)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How hard is it to remove the carbs, i might just have to do that. And how much do needles and seats cost for a triple? and the float? just curious cause i might replace both as a precaution.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Well. I'm also not much of a mechanic. The float is a little bar that floats in your carbs, and determines how much gas to put into the engine... If for some reason it opened up and there was junk in your carbs, the float may get stuck so that its always giving you sled alot of gas. But at high speeds you wouldn't notice it because it would be the right amount of gas... So the float is not something you would need to replace... The needles and seats are in the carbs, and they probably could just use a cleaning. unless you think other wise... You can tell by just looking at them. On the top of your carbs are about a 3 inch cap, thats got a hose coming from the top of it. Unscrew it and take it off. You won't miss the needle, it will be on the inside of the cap. And the seats will be in there too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts