Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trading my sks 700 to a buddy of mine for a truck, and after about 50 miles of ride time on the sled it started running funny.. thats what he told me at elast, he brought me the sled and when I fired it up it didnt want to idle, after about two min the engine started making a nasty sound. sence hes my buddy I told him to keep the truck and I'll take the sks back. now insted of just another top end job Im going threw the whole engine.

However, I have never split the cases before, I have a spare lower end that I tried taking apart so I would have an idea as to what I am doing when I try doing it for real. I took the six bolts off from the bottem case and the four that were inside by the mag, and they came apart a but.. the case was already cracked so I tried prying it open.. no luck. what els do I have to do to get them to split?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
if u pried it they always split...not 2 sound dum but double ck u have all bolts out
u have the stator and that area all apart?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, didnt think I had to. I'll have to get a puller and do that. never had to do bottem end work on my sleds before so its a first...

also, found that the brand new oem piston that had 32 miles on it had a chunk about 1in by .25in broken off the crown all the way to the rings on the intake side. also found both wrist pin clips inbeded in the cylinder walls.. wtf? how would they pop out of the groove?

the head is HAMMERD so Im going to use a 98 head on it when I rebuild it, with a PSI head cover... thats gota add at least 50 HP.. lol

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
crdude said:
I was trading my sks 700 to a buddy of mine for a truck, and after about 50 miles of ride time on the sled it started running funny.. thats what he told me at elast, he brought me the sled and when I fired it up it didnt want to idle, after about two min the engine started making a nasty sound. sence hes my buddy I told him to keep the truck and I'll take the sks back. now insted of just another top end job Im going threw the whole engine.

However, I have never split the cases before, I have a spare lower end that I tried taking apart so I would have an idea as to what I am doing when I try doing it for real. I took the six bolts off from the bottem case and the four that were inside by the mag, and they came apart a but.. the case was already cracked so I tried prying it open.. no luck. what els do I have to do to get them to split?
What you are looking for is in this pic crdude. I can walk you through the process this week, I have to yank MX86's motor out, bearing on connecting rod locked up. You need that flywheel puller your Uncle has to remove the flywheel, stator, and waterpump assembly. A good rubber mallet is also recommended!! If it were a Honda, I would say a 10 pound hammer would get 'er done!!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup thats what I want my engine to look like! I most likely wont get the parts to finish the engine untill may when I get my job back. Until then I have two cases to split and two cranks Im going to take in and have checked out, I'll use which ever one is better.

Not sure if I have a puller handy, I may have to get one! I like new tools anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts