Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Got my 89 polaris indy trail put all the way back togather after my track swap. I got it started again. And now its spraying gas out of the carbs. and flooding out. It doesnt leek any gas when its sitting or nothing. I cleaned the carbs.Didnt help much. and when i get it started. it will run good for alittle bit, but then it just boggs and cant even get enough gas to move the sled. I don't know what to do I need help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the_hog said:
Squirting out the overflows? Sounds like a stuck float to me.
Well, They floats arnt stuck. But, maybe they have holes in them or something? and sunk? The sled ran perfect when it was parked.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Just a thought... You probably had your rear end jacked up pretty high to do the track swap, right? well if you didn't turn the fuel valve off, gas might have rushed down into the the motor (downhill + gravity). have you checked the two bolts at the bottom of the crankcase on the exhaust side? If your motor is flooded, take out the bolts (before not to lose the washer if there is one). Gas will pour out the opening if the motor is flooded. Then try starting it again and you should be good

·
Registered
7 Posts
check out your floats and try to see if they are getting stuck and see if your slides are synced and if it isnt that tak apart your carbs again and take a look and make sure everything is clean and everything is tight. it might be your jetting and make sure the floats are free and thats all i could say

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
STORM29 said:
check out your floats and try to see if they are getting stuck and see if your slides are synced and if it isnt that tak apart your carbs again and take a look and make sure everything is clean and everything is tight. it might be your jetting and make sure the floats are free and thats all i could say
Could it maybe be running bad because of the hot weather? It is a fan motor. Now it seems like its not sucking gas.

·
Registered
393 Posts
89Indy488 said:
STORM29 said:
Could it maybe be running bad because of the hot weather? It is a fan motor. Now it seems like its not sucking gas.
I,d be taking the carbs off and checking the pilot jet.Sometimes old gas and sitting can plug them up pretty good.Also I,d soak the carbs good in carb cleaner to make sure all the passages are clean.You might even have to install new needle and seats but it does seeem odd if its both carbs acting up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rainman56 said:
89Indy488 said:
STORM29 said:
I,d be taking the carbs off and checking the pilot jet.Sometimes old gas and sitting can plug them up pretty good.Also I,d soak the carbs good in carb cleaner to make sure all the passages are clean.You might even have to install new needle and seats but it does seeem odd if its both carbs acting up.
yeah, good idea. I don't do much work on snowmobiles. (I'm Very very good at Small engines, like Briggs and Stratton and Tecumseh) But I like to work on snowmobiles. So what would new needles and seats cost for both carbs? Any idea?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Before you buy new needles and seats clean them out first. I had an issue with them on my '99 where my sled wouldn't stay running and I cleaned them out really well and the sled ran perfectly fine after that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
leadfoot33 said:
read pedals?
Reed pedals? This engine is a piston port.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is it just coming out one carb? had this problem b4 take the choke plunger out of carb that has the most gas coming out and clean and make sure its ajusted so its closed. if the floats are stuck or sunk gas will pool out of the breather holes on the carb and just keep dripping out. this sounds like stuck choke to me. and yes it will run but bog a lot and stall. i have had both the stuck float and the stuck choke plunger on a 89 and 90 indy 650 and i think they are the same carbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
leadfoot33 said:
thought it said 99 lmao didnt read closely enough haha
hahaha, its all good man lol!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I do believe they are machunies ??? I Think thats what are on my 97 indy 5, very simple carbs, bogging down as said before could either be gas logged floats (no longer float) or as also mentioned choke being stuck on. I dont think it would over heat that fast even if it is a fan. I dont think a set of needles and floats could b that much, the parts are pretty prevalent

1 - 15 of 15 Posts