Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put back together a 1980 SRX 440. I used the old rings that went with the jugs. They seamed to Ok, but now that it is together, it seams to only want to start only on the first couple of pulls then it wont even fire. When its cold it fires right away. IS THIS THE RINGS??????? Duffy[:(!]

·
Registered
295 Posts
whats the compression? (psi)

·
Registered
539 Posts
you should always put new rings on a 440 srx motor if you have it apart (if it hasn't been apart in some time).
you have cast iron sleaves? or original crome bore cylinders?
wiring is hooked up properly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that i completly screwed myself but what the hell its just the way I am. I will never learn. I have the rings ordered. I hant done a compression check yet. I will do that tommorow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
its been awhile with yamaha But didnt the SRX440 have T.O.R.S on the carbs?
I agree with Snoeproe rings should have been replaced
Is the sled getting fuel?

·
Registered
539 Posts
the 440 srx's came with mikuni powerjet carbs ('76-'79) and mikuni butterfly carbs on 1980.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plugs are getting fuel, I still havnt done the compression test which I am going tio try today, and is ther any way to check the electronics????? It has Iron sleeves 1.0 over

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Check if it has spark is consistent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Pulled the heads off and there was water on one of the pistons. I ordered a new top end gasket set, and was woundering if the proper way of setting the gaskets was with some kind of Vasalean jelly or grease with the cylenders off the block and put the heads on then????? I didnt do it right the last time. Thanks for your help. Duffy

·
Registered
539 Posts
i take a dab of Ultra Blue silicone and run the coolant and head gaskets between my fingers with silicone then stick the gaskets down. it sounds like your getting coolant in the combustion chamber (water on piston).
i also use the Ultra blue silicone on the coolant manifold gaskets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip, What is the torch I should use? I have been doing it by feel, but I am wondering if I can over tighten it???? D

·
Registered
539 Posts
18-20 ft lbs should be plenty. for the heads/cylinders.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
A 77srx mopped my ass at the ice drags last year!!! That thing was fast!!!! I have an 03 snopro 500 that ran 87.6 in 1000ft his ran in the mid 90s somewhere! The guy went home and regeared and jetted came back and beat me. He was running about 83-84 before he went home! I felt cheated but that thing was fast!

·
Registered
539 Posts
a stock 77 yamaha srx 440 was 320 lbs and 96 hp from yamaha.
you can mod them to 105hp + and drop them to 300 lbs no problem.
it is hard to beat that power to weight ratio.
most people have no clue how frightening fast a 77 yamaha srx 440 is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts