Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, motor went in my '00 700 MXZ at 2200 miles. Crank bearing seized. Decided not to fix it but to part it out. I am looking at a 2002 SRX 600 Yammy and think that I will buy it. My only experience with Yamaha is a generator that I bought and love, so.... I am going to go out on a limb and buy a Yamaha sled. Any advice on the 600? Will I be taking a step back in performance from the MXZ700? The Yamaha has under 500 miles on it so I am hoping it will last for a few seasons. I'll give you guys my opinion on the comparision between the two sleds after my first outing.

-Canucker

·
Registered
55 Posts
you will love the SRX on the lake..not the best in bumpy trails.
It is a low rider and set up for long hard pulls on a packed surface. Great stock but there are a few clutch set ups that make it even better.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I thought they didn't make a 600 cc version in 2002. Is it a 600, or is is an SX, SXR, or a 700 SRX? Anyways.. All the SRX's are very fast snowmobiles, including the 600. They steer through the trails like they are on rails, haha that rhymes. They sit lower then all the other Yamaha's in the lineup as mentioned by yamyrider. If you wanted, it is possible to get more travel out of them. With 500 miles on it, it's just about broke in.. hopefully it was taken care of during this time. (A grandma owned mine for the first 1300 km's, no joke) What I would do is a basic maintenance. Clean the carbs, service the clutches etc. Check all the bearings in the rear suspension, make sure all the wheels turn nicely. If they don't, replace the bearings etc. Check the front arm of the rear suspension for cracks. They do occur sometimes and will go un noticed. Check the bearings on the jack shaft (Secondary clutch to the chain case) and on the drive wheels(spedometer side). Drain and refill the chain case oil. Adjust the power valves because the cables will have stretched from break in ( this is costly if not performed). Clean the power valves while you are at it. This sounds like a lot of work, but shouldn't take forever to do. If you can't do it yourself, maybe get a buddy or dealer etc. Find a manual for it too. After all of this you will have a wickedly fast 600 ( if thats what it is) that will be right beside most 700's. if it's the 700 then you will be king of the trails and lakes. Ask around for some clutch setups, jetting etc too make small improvements. Comparing to the MXZ, you will have way more reliability, especially if you take care of it. Should be just as quick if not faster. Suspension wise, there is less of it. Sorry for the long responce, but I get carried away. If I were you, I'd purchase this sled. You should be more then happy. Ask around for more input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.