Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is looking at a 98 SRX 700 and we checked the compression cold and all three came to around 125-127psi. The sled is supposed to have about 3500km on it with a few upgrades. I was wondering if the compression is right about where it should be, or is it a little low? Any help would be great......

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'm no Yamaha expert, but I'd say those are good/average numbers for a healthy engine. More importantly, is that each cylinder is within about 5% of each other.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no Yamaha expert either, but I know that my sled sits at about 135 for both cylinders... 125 ish just seemed a little low, but that could be just me.... The biggest reason I'm asking is because the guy with the Yamaha wants my buddies 68 340 Baracuda Fastback. The Cuda is 68 Fastback - white, 8 -3/4" w/3.91 posi, a race preped 727 auto tranny, 1970 block 340 60 over, cutom ground cam, and other go fast parts, headers and full duel 2 1/2" exhaust, also he has a full set of center line rims and the original rally rims - plus boxes of other parts off a donar car....The car was appraised at $10 000... The Yamaha has Boyesen Reeds, Custom Air box (vents by speedo) Brand new track (no miles), aftermarket can (not sure of name)little aluminum bogies on front of skid (says they cost him $250) and it has a clutch kit (also not sure what one)... My buddy is only asking $6500 + 500 for all his extra parts for the car, buddy is asking $6500 for the sled but said if someone offered $5500 it would be gone....So Bill said the sled and $1000 (no extra parts) - Buddy says I'll have to talk it over withthe wife... Is it a fair deal?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Does'nt sound like a bad deal,
I think $5500 is pushing it for the yammie. some of the early Srx had crank isses moving outta phase., buzzing in the foot wells etc.. Might want to ask if he's had warrenty work done. Just from memory.. friend has a 2001 he loves it, they can be very quick with the right clutch work.. Bender /Hauck.
Sounds like a sweet car, my nieghbour is a mopar nut, 70 44 cuda, 70 340 dart, brand new hemi truck.
Best of luck

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The sled price sounds too high for a 98... Blue book was around 3500US...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Thanks I just noticed he was in Canada... 4800 sound more reasonable than 5500...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's about what I thought.....The car is sweet, I should know I put more hours in it than the guy that built the motor and tranny.... However with his job, he'll never drive the "Cuda" again..... So if the compression is good, that's all he needs to know.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have a 98 and it should be at 145-150 for maximum power. I had 120 all around and i put a set of rings and pistons in for about $300. and it brought it upto almost stock compression, 145. i could hear and feel the difference. That way you know you can take some 800's.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
you betcha there ,my buddy has one of these and very hard to beat,and on ebay these usally bring in the 2200-3000 dollar range

1 - 10 of 10 Posts