Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told many different stories about which one of these sleds is faster and I am hoping to find out in this . I am wondering about top speed , 500 feet , 660 feet , and 1000 feet . All of these on hard packed snow with no studs .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really need some input here because my best friend is buying 1 of these 2 sleds and I really am hoping that I can get some help helping him decide here .

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
id say the srx

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I was just going to post something about the Vmax 4 800, then i saw this.

I taked to a guy here in my studio on Friday that has a Vmax 4 800, and he loves his.
One of his buddies has a 2002 800 XCR, and is sueing Polaris after being beaten badly by that 4 cylnder Yami-monster.

Has anyone ever riden one, are they as fast as he's boasting?

The guy says only 1 drawback to the Vmax4 is after 45 miles he's looking for a gas station. The stock suspension is crap too, but he spent $3000.00 on a new M-10 and he says now it's un-stoppable.

Very sweet looking in all black...
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/92vmax.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed dial-a-jets, I now get constant 8 mpg, and installed a 2000 srx suspension, had a m-10, now best ever!Now I have my top end and the ride is 40% better then a rx1!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
srx is better on fuel, srx has the better engine tech. I would get the srx over the v-max

·
Registered
528 Posts
The picture you posted is the same sled that I own. That's a 1992 750.

I know someone who has a 2 SRX's and 2 Vmax4-800's. I'll ask him which is quicker, being that he owns both it should be about as true an answer as you could get. My money would be on a properly setup 800.

They are not the best on gas, I get about 6-8 mpg. The suspension is no where near what is available today. The advantage of the older shorther travel suspension is that it is better for drag racing.

In the snow drags last year I beat a 2002 Edge 800 and 2003 Pro X 800 with my 750. It was a really close race though, within a few tenths of a second. It was a 660' groomed snow 4-lane track with a pro timing setup.

What year Vmax-4 and SRX is your buddy looking at buying? I may be able to shed some light on some issues with the different years.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
This was started April of last year...I'd think
his buddy has bought already if he was going to.
:)
I like those Vmax 4's...if only I owned and Esso station
every 40 miles from here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I still think that the v-max would beat the srx 700 because of the more poer and light weight.Do they both have studs or wich onehas them.[:)]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]This was started April of last year...I'd think
his buddy has bought already if he was going to.
:)
I like those Vmax 4's...if only I owned and Esso station
every 40 miles from here.
Good point on the date of the original post, I didn't even look. I'll still post the answer as to which is the faster sled when I get the info.

You can get by with a gas station every 60 miles[:D]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here's your answer, a direct quote from the person that I put the question to.

"I CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION A HUNDRED DIFFERENT WAYS!! FIRST MY 96 800 V MAX 4 IS THE FASTEST SLED I OWN BECAUSE OF THE WORK I HAVE DONE TO IT. WHEN IT WAS STOCK, IT WOULD NOT TAKE MY 95 800 '' AMSNOW '' SHOOTOUT SLED. THIS SLED WAS THE FASTEST YAMAHA EVER AT THE SHOOTOUT. NOT E.T., BUT MPH ( 105 ). I HAVE RACED MY 00 SRX AGAINST MY 95 ON GRASS AND MY 800 WINS. THIS 02 SRX I JUST GOT REALLY HAULS UPPER END. ALREADY SEEN 115. I THINK IN THE EVERYDAY SNOWMOBILE WORLD, THE SRX MIGHT WIN MORE THAN LOOSE, BUT IF A GUY KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING, THE V MAX 4 CAN TAKE A SRX. !! 3:16"

·
Registered
543 Posts
I own both a 95 v-max four with psi pipe and a srx 2000 with reeds and in top end the big four cylinderwill destroy it by about 8-10 mph, I mean that thing hauls no ? it has to be the fastest top end sled made stock. let me tell you it eats gas almost as if there is a hole in the bottom of my tank leaking. my srx is very fast though but those 800 are unstoppable.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
in the long run the v max will lay waste to the srx, but for trail riding, and all around driving the srx will be a better sled to buy.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I completely agree with madcow inless you throw a m-10 suspension in the v-max 4 then they are almost perfect, all that is left is to fix the gas mileage problem(unaviodable) and the weight of the beasts. Although just like madcow said for overall riding I enjoy my SRX better plus those things are tough for other people to beat! Even the SRX's need new suspension so that is exactly why I am going to buy the new rx1 suspension and put it into my sled, then I am going to probably put the rx1 suspension into the srx or the big old V-max.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Anyone have a pic of a V-Max 4 engine?. I'd really like to take a look at it...

·
Registered
543 Posts
I looked on google for awhile but couldn't really find any close up pics of it or any good pics of the engine, the only one that I could find was the 1992 750 engine, very simular to the 800 engine. Next time I go riding I will try to take a pic of the engine of my Vmax4 800. It really looks sweet. The only picture that I could find that even resembled an engine was this.( the very top right one)

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/sno/epic/1992_vmax4_small.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts