Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Yamaha SXR 700 which has been stalling when I try to start it. I put it away in March and started it once in April, it fired up and ran fine. I have tried starting lately and it fires up with the choke on, but then after shutting the choke off it starts to bog down and then die. When I shut the choke off and give it throttle to try and keep it running it still bogs down. Sometimes it backfires, thinking possibly, fowl plugs, clogged carbs?
There is stabilizer in the gas.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
there could be some junk in the carbs?

·
Registered
269 Posts
x2 clean carbs and replace plugs check fuel filter as well maybe.
also since you have the carbs off check the reeds as i believe the cages were known to crack. just a cautionary measure :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You also have to remember it very warm.

·
Registered
368 Posts
you definately need a thorough carb cleaning. most likely the pilot jets are plugged, but clean all the circuits while they are out and your cleaning.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Clean them carbs, new plugs, new gas, and a new fuel filter if it has one and you should be set. I just fixed our friends 99 yamaha vmax 600 triple that was stalling a lot for no reason. Cleaned the carbs and it ran mint.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
MozzMann said:
I have a 2001 Yamaha SXR 700 which has been stalling when I try to start it. I put it away in March and started it once in April, it fired up and ran fine. I have tried starting lately and it fires up with the choke on, but then after shutting the choke off it starts to bog down and then die. When I shut the choke off and give it throttle to try and keep it running it still bogs down. Sometimes it backfires, thinking possibly, fowl plugs, clogged carbs?
There is stabilizer in the gas.
Any thoughts?
Sounds like the pilot jet is clogged, you can try some sea foam which might work since there was stabilizer in the tank but most likely you will need to pull the carbs and clean then by hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would the reason be for clogging in the first place?
From sitting since April without running it possibly?
Thanks for the feedback guys

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bad/dirty gas or in tank and sitting like you mentioned. The jets have very tiny holes. When you let an engine sit the carbs become dry. If the gas dries out of the carbs the dirt and contaminates that normally are in the gas remain. This can clog the jets and gunk up the carbs. It does not take much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts