Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on my dads 96 gmc sonoma, the starter sometimes engauges and sometimes it doesn't. It basically turns the motor over or it just spins the starter motor. I think that it may be the solenoid or the drive linkage, but want to get some better opinions. Also any descriptions on were the parts are and how to remove them will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
It's your starter. Get a new one and your problem will go away.

I can't think of the names right now (I believe it is a problem with the armature), but anyways it's not throwing the gear out all the time. So sometimes it comes out and grabs the flywheel, sometimes it just spins in place.

You can get parts for them and rebuild them, but it's usually easier just to get a new one and in reality it's not that much more to replace then rebuild.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I agree with Blackcat, I believe Autosuck has lifetime warranty ones available. Sure it's aftermarket, but it has the warranty and our starters are not hard to replace.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you tell me how to take it off? Is it a realitively simple job and are there any specific torque measurements for it? Just trying to get some info on how to fix it before I start.

·
Registered
345 Posts
disconnect the battery, lift up the front of the truck, stater is on the passanger side. remove 2 bolts, carefully move the starter around so you can get to the backk of the solenoid and diconnect the wires. pull starter out. there is not alot of room to move the starter around to get to the wires but it is not a bad job to do. i'm sure there is a torque spec but i don't know it, i just tighten them down and go.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, will try to get a replacement tommorow and put it in if it is nice out.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
are you sure its not some teeth missing out of the ring gear(i beleive thats what its called
) my truck has that problem some jackass before me owned it and had it started then tried to start it again and chipped the teeth

·
Registered
344 Posts
think its a part called a bendix, replaced one on my boat 2 years ago, lot cheaper than a whole starter, like 5$ part.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
won't know till I take it out, but I have the replacement starter for it anyways, but will try to got the cheaper way.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
ole yeah the good ole bendix ,had a whole bunch of tractors around here that didn't want to start till i replaced those ,guess the bearing gets dry and rough then they dont want to spin the engine very fast

1 - 10 of 10 Posts