Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the sport of snowmobiling, actually I just got the sled 3 days ago, and I have very little idea of how to start it. I got the sled from a friend that did not want it anymore and so he gave it to me. The reason he did not want it is that he thought the engine was seized. When I picked it up I found that, like he said, I could not pull the starter. I took it home and opened the hood. I was messing around and decided to try and twist the crankshaft. It went with out a problem. So i got on the machine and gave the starter a yank, it pulled fine and I heard the engine clyinders go thump-thump under compression. I popped the key in, put the safety on, opened the shutoff, primed it a couple times, pulled, and nothing happened. So today I went and bought some new sparkplugs for it. I put them in and nothing happened. Am I doing something wrong? I thought there would be a choke, but I can't find it. The machine has a full tank of gas, but I don't know how long it has been sitting. Can you please help me. Give me an idea of how to start this thing. I wanna ride before the season ends. Thanks for your time and answers.
Judson

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that...I didn't work, but thanks.
Jud

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I checked by sticking a screwdriver in the cap and holding it next to the head bolt. It had good spark.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i was always told it takes spark compression and fuel to make it run you know you have spark and compression try fuel pump that primer a little more

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate your quickness and patience with me. But yet again this is something I have tried. I pumped that primer a ton of times (maybe 25...not all at once) and I could see the fuel bubbling in the hose as I did it. Thanks again for your help thus far.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Check your plugs again,are they wet with gas.at 25 shots of primer the fuel has to go somewhere if your actually getting gas.allso get a compression tester,anything less yhan about 70-80 pounds she wont run.your rings might be stuck to the pistons.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked. Yes they are wet. The left one (when sitting on the machine) is a little dirtier (I dont know if that matters).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ya, it deffinatly sounds like bad gas to me, only because we know you have spark, and even without compression you would hear it trying to go right? So all thats left is bad gas i would think, maybe the fuel filter is plugged?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Get any gas thats in there out. Even if you could start it would probly end up blowing it up with bad gas... When you get that checked up, pour a little gas in the cylinders and give it a couple pulls.

You said that you thought there should be a choke... The primer is the choke, it just works on a different concept.

Check the little things to, like that the key is turned on etc.

Also if you prime to much, your back were you started. Try 2 primes, and 5 pulls, then 1 pump and try angain. If it starts and stalls, 2 more primes...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok...I just tried spraying some ether (one quick spray) down the sparkplug holes... nothing happened. I then tried Sled Head's method of 2 primes 5 pulls, 1 prime try again...and still nothing[xx(][V]. Now I have not had a chance to drain the tank of what may be old gas, but still, it should fire something with the ether[:(!]. I am going to pick up a comppression tester friday or saturday, maybe that will show something. Thanks for all your help... and anything else you can think of will be greatly appreciated.
Jud

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I wouldnt use Ether, its not good on the sleds... Its ment for desil engines...

Check you wiring and make sure that your key and tether are connected properly, becuase if there not then it wont start...

open up your carbs and make sure there no ice or anything in them...

·
Registered
128 Posts
get new plugs make sure all old gas is gone if you can get all old gas out of the bottom of your crankcase that would really help because when it does try to start that old crap will blow up into your top end and foul every thing up again on you in a matter of seconds. a good thing to start an engine is a spray can of wd40 never use ether it has no use on a gas engine just washes oil off and floods it. i have seen used plugs that would spark sitting on top of an engine but would not fire under compression![:p]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts