Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been told to start your sled at least once a month during the summer. Well I wasn't around much, and I don't think it got started at all. I was thinking of starting it this weekend. Is that a bad idea, or if so, should I do something like clean out the bowls? It probably won't see snow for a couple of months or so. I like and miss the smell of them. Oh, its a 98' Formula Z 670.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Mine sat all summer. I just started it up a couple weeks ago. It went just fine. Just fire it up, I personally wouldn't worry about anything.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Just fire it up, it will be fine. If it doesn't run right you may need to clean the carbs. But I would run it a while to decide wether or not it is required.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I guess I do just so I can smell it,but I dont think it makes a differnce if u do or dont..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i guess you didnt fog.... if you did. Just leave it till you ride.

·
Registered
425 Posts
yeah you never know what you're going to find. best to start it a month or two before the season then start it at least once a week there after til the snow flies.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Run some carb cleaner through the first tank of gas with some fuel stabilizer, this will help take away any gum or varnish buildup that occured over the summer.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
after reading this post i decided to go out and start the old girl with no luck, its 72* right now but it ran a couple seconds on carb cleaner, that was it. I guess i have to go out there and clean em good.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Fuel in the carbs probably evaporated. First start of the year I pull the plugs out, leave ign off, turn fuel on and pull until I see fuel entering the fuel pump (clear line on my sled). I then 'prime' the cylinders with a little squirt of fuel, replace plugs and fire it up with 'normal' starting procedure. ie choke if your sled needs it usually. Saves pulling it under compression 15 - 20 times before it'll catch and run steady.

But that's just me. [:D]

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you love your sled and your mechanically inclined, remove the carbs and look at the float bowl. Gas does not just evaporate, it breaks down and leaves a nasty varnish. This can plug or restrict your jets, this is bad. No fuel means lean burn, means melted piston! Have some carb cleaner ready and if the carb smells funny get ready to squirt it with the cleaner. It comes off easier before it compleatly dries.

Chances are it will probably be OK but if you took the time to ask I figure you will take the time to clean.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
oh yeah, i wont risk burning my new wiseco pistons, ill take them off tomarrow and clean the bowls and jets, then ill get it running, no matter how long it takes. I just realized, theres a hurricane coming, maybe i wont lol.

·
Registered
553 Posts
88400 try using the fogging oil spray to use when trying to start. Has lubercants in it and wont be as harsh on the cylinders and rings as the starting fluid is. I found using sta-bil and sea-foam together when storing for the summer months works great. Sea-foam is also a stabilizer if you use enough on its own. I use this for the lubercant and carb cleaning aspects of the product and the sta-bil as the primary stabilizer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts