Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why will my sled (96 XCR 600sp) not start when i leave it out for just one night when the coldest it gets overnight is maybe 0? Usually its not a problem because i put it in the shop, but whenever i leave it up by the house it never wants to start unless i spray a little either down the plug holes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Using ether on your sled is very hard on it, especially spraying it down your holes like that. It washes the oil from the cylinder walls... I've done it too, but it's not good for them.
Something better to spray down your holes is WD-40, it's at least got some lubricating properties and it's flammable too.
So, with full choke on, how many cranks does it take before it fires up without using anything to assist, like ether?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wont fire at all, never gets close if i dont use ether.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Could be your fuel pump is allowing the fuel to run back down your fuel lines after it sits.. maybe rebuild your fuel pump?
Just a stab... it's cheap to do that, too. A good carb cleaning would probably be in order too, if you already haven't done so.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I'll just keep putting it in the shop for now, sine the season is just about over. My fuel pump should be alright yet, the sled only has 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is your airbox gutted, That made my sled a pain to start when cold. Went from 2 pulls 1/2 choke to 10 full choke LOL. Just an idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
try shutting the fuel off when you park it outside if it starts you need new needle and seats if not your choke plungers may not be moving ,after it freezes outside this could be stuck choke cables or sticky choke plungers you can check this by tugging on the choke cables next to the carbs you can feel the difference in the freeplay when you do this. Mine had moisture in the cables and froze when left outside wd 40 fixed it

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the suggestions xcrnut i'll have to check that out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts