Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently spent about $500 having carbs cleaned, new intake boots, choke adjustment and a few other issues sorted. Sled started early season on 2nd-3rd pull cold full choke. Now it is 5-8 pulls full choke, I have to hot start with 1/8-1/4 throttle, recently after sitting two hours about 5 miles out I could not get it to start at all— pulled plugs they were wet, replaced nothing. ok Spark. I wonder if I have plugged jets despite the cleaning. Once started it seems to run fine, no bogginess or hesitation. starting is just a major PIA now. I thought a filter (clear glass one) to see what is coming through the fuel system but the shop I went to said it would interfere with fuel delivery and cause pump issues ? Never heard of that but wondering if anyone has run into these issues ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New wrinkle in this story. Pulled the sled trailer into my garage. I was going about draining the crank case - assuming it had flooded. Left for the night - returned this morning to about 2-3 gallons of gas on the trailer and floor. My mistake for leaving the gas shut off on. I assume I am looking at a stuck needle valve ? Should I assume it filled the crankcase then out through the exhaust - I cannot imagine the gas level go so high that it made it up the exhuast (which is higher than almost the carbs I think and then through the can and out the pipe ?? I just turned the petcock off and cleaned up the gas - ventilated the garage and had to leave. Anyone else have a similar Issue ? I feel like having the service, carbs cleaned and new boots did more harm than good

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bad fuel pump is your likely cause. Worn out diaphragm can leak gas in your crank through your vacuum line. You can look to see if there's gas in the line

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad fuel pump is your likely cause. Worn out diaphragm can leak gas in your crank through your vacuum line. You can look to see if there's gas in the line
Thanks that makes sense. $30 parts causes all sorts of havoc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can blow air into your gas line and If it comes out the vacuum, then you'll know for sure. Happened to mine, rebuilt it and it was good to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would bet that you have a needle and seat issue. Either bad needle and seat or a piece of dirt or lint (from the cleaning) has gotten in there. I have had to go back and clean needle and seat several times before getting then completely leak proof. If there is a small ring on the needle, you will need to replace them. If you have access to a Mighty Vac they should hold 5 psi when turned upside down and apply pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts