Snowmobile Fanatics banner

starting on one plug

996 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  bj.hardy 
#1 ·
when i start my 99 700 xc from and over night sit it sounds like its starting on one plug it doesnt sound all that bad but you can hear it pop a little and open up and idle around 2500 rmps it has slp boost bottle reeds and slp twin pipes and can. does anyone have any idea the plugs look ok im just not sure whats up

#4 ·
teamarctic14 said:
when i start my 99 700 xc from and over night sit it sounds like its starting on one plug it doesnt sound all that bad but you can hear it pop a little and open up and idle around 2500 rmps it has slp boost bottle reeds and slp twin pipes and can. does anyone have any idea the plugs look ok im just not sure whats up
Both of my 2000 Indy 500XC's do it as well. First one also backfired and kicked back on startup. Hooked up a timing light and discovered one cylinder had no spark on startup and then began firing randomly as it warmed up. I traced it to either stator or wires between stator and CDI. Never got any further with it, as the next day the PTO side rod failed and took out both sides of the jug, crankcase, and the piston skirt on both sides of the piston all the way up to the lower ringlands.

Newer one seems to have been remedied by replacing the needle and seats. One cylinder filled with gas whenever it was parked, fouling the plug out until enough heat built up in the running engine that it began firing weakly.

#6 ·
This happened to my 92' 440 last week... I always keep the carbs in tune and after checking the throttle adj I removed the chokes and one had let go and dropped. So when starting cold I only had one cylinder being choked and running until everything warmed up the other ran normal.... I would never have thought of it, just lucked into seeing it.

#9 ·
have you cleaned your carbs? maybe isnt leeting flow throug till it starts to pull more.. could be a little gumed up, just and idea? how long was the seld sitting tilly you got it? i know this is a new (ibelive) sled to you..

#11 ·
boost bottle shouldnt matter to be honest, id start checking carbs/floats/choke's...

#13 ·
jets maybe, what size are in it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.