Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 00' 600 RMK has just recently has starting problems? When I initially try and start it the dang thing takes 20/30 pulls then smokes like a beast. After I have it running it runs fine and out riding I can kill it and it starts up first pull.

Another quick ? is using WD-40 alright to use as a starting fluid? I was told to use this when I have trouble starting the machine. Like pull plugs and squirt a little in each cylinder is this alright?[galleryattach=13727]

·
Registered
388 Posts
If any of my Polaris's don't start cold within 6 pulls, I change my starting procedure. I:E 1/2 choke , full choke. Throttle open, throttle closed. If it smokes a lot after starting sounds like it was rich or flooded. WD 40 will not hurt the engine. Personally I have never had any success with it. I still use starting ether when necessary. I know, I know, people say NOOOOO on a 2 stroke, but I've never had any problem with it.

If I have a sled that has been sitting a long time and needs to suck up fuel because the carbs are dry, I will pour some gas directly in the breather(not much). That is my standard procedure after they have been stored for the summer and I'm starting them the first time.
Other suggestions would be to see if the initial carb slide adjustment is o.k? Have the pilot jets been cleaned? Is the air screw set some where between 1 to 1-1/2 turns open?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Alot of the new starting fluids now have a lubricant in them and are ok to use.
It will say on the can.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I never use the choke one my '99 700. Pump the old primer up and one pull...she lights right up. If it starts to bog down I pump the primer again and its fine. Sounds like its being choked out and flooding. Check and clean carbs and do all the necessary adjustments and go from there.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
actually if its taking that many pulls to start ide replace the needles and seats in the carbs. the reason i say this is because you mentioned its smoking alot after it does start.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have an '86 Indy 600 that has a primer that was added and I'm not sure if my '99 700 came with it but regardless it works great and I never foul a plug!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Excessive oil in your carbs/crank or you are leaking coolant into the cases causing it to smoke that bad. Clean your carbs, put in new plugs(RN57YC/C only) Check for leaks.

And the primers came only on the '99 6-700's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts