Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are guys doing when starting their sleds inside? Does anyone hook up a hose of some sort to the exhaust and run it outside or does everyone just open the doors? Wondering if anyone has had any good luck with anything in particular... I want to start my sled inside without opening the door to cool off my sled shed... I'd like to keep some heat in there when I am wrenching and not die from carbon monoxide posioning is also a plus... Was thinking I could pick up some drainage tube or something and just run that out side Any hints or tips would be appreciated... Thanks.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
^^^Same here, I open the door but there goes all the heat...kinda sucks but it's better than gettin' smogged out!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't hurt the engine to hook up a 10 ft hose/tube of some sort to the exhaust and run it outside a hole in the wall would it?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
We just start them up real quick and see whats wrong or something than shut them down so their isnt that much exhuast inside. But, if it gets really bad we just open the door.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by krappana
[br]Wouldn't hurt the engine to hook up a 10 ft hose/tube of some sort to the exhaust and run it outside a hole in the wall would it?
I would think you would need to figure out some way to get a continuous flow of oxygen into the garage. Otherwise the engine will eventually drain all of the fresh air out of the garage and will not run right/stall. If you don't plan on running it for too long I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're really trying to dial the engine in and run it for a while it could be dangerous to you and your sled.

Then again, I could be totally wrong. Hopefully somebody else can give you their input about this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point... I didn't think about oxygen coming in... hopefully someone has done this? Seems to me that it would be pretty common for people to want to do this but maybe not? I know people do it with cars in their garage... just run a tube from the pipe outside, but not sure if the back pressure created by the length of tube would be good for sled or not??

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
you could run the hose out the wall like you want to do. but it will still leak as the pipe is larger then the exaust tip.also it wouldnt cause any extra back pressure.now if you could figure a way out to kinda seal up or find a reducer that fits the exaust tip a little tighter then say just a 3 inch tube over the tip then it would be better so you wouldnt have as bad of a leak.

·
Registered
725 Posts
just open the door, put a jacket on if you're cold... if you run a hose outside, your gunna have to open the door anyway to put the hose out.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Well i just let it run, then open up the doors and put a fan to blow out the exhaust, but thats if i am not working on it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You want something like this. Just choose the correct tailpipe adapter. A complete system will run you from $100-$150.
http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/cars/garagehose.html
http://www.crushproof.com/exhaust.html

·
Registered
855 Posts
get one of these and then duct it all in how ever you want this will help pull the exhaust into the pipe

http://www.smarthome.com/3011.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try This.
Get a piece of that cheap replacement air heater hose that is used on older cars to provide warm air from the exhaust manifold to the air filter and use that to connect to your sled exhaust. You can trim it and then just pinch it around the pipe end, it's like tin foil. Get larger diameter hose for that first piece to fit into and make it long enough to get to your door and out about 4' - 6'. Use Duct Tape on the joint. The second piece of hose can be an old household vacuum hose you can get from a repair shop, they have lots of old pieces. Heat to that second hose won't be a concern unless you plan to run your sled for a long time inside, but you can keep an eye on it. If you keep your garage door open enough for that pipe to get out, 2"- 3", it will allow more than enough fresh air back in your garage without losing all your heat. :)

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
an old shop vac. put a short suction hose from the vac under the sled. so the exhaust blows into a small box. and then the other side of the vac you can run the hose out the door.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the approx. temp of the exhaust coming out of a sled anyway?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Start sled, when smoke gets thick, put on jacket and open door a crack. When smoke clears enough to stand, close door.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Originally posted by ACG
[br]Start sled, when smoke gets thick, put on jacket and open door a crack. When smoke clears enough to stand, close door.
Agree, iv probley killed a few brain cells over the years but it hasnt killed me yet.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Yep when the smoke gets so bad you cant see crack the door open untill u can see, Then shut the door and get back to work! I usually have a space heater right next to me to keep warm when its freezing out!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suppose I could just go and buy a gas mask too, but my question is not how to cope with the exhaust issue but how to solve the issue while reaining heat. IE. I want to know how I can safely get the exhaust out of the shed without opening the doors to let heat out. I know I can open the damn doors... my question is how to do it without opening the doors...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the vacume trick works very well

1 - 20 of 42 Posts