Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!
Im looking to start Water X racing this summer for something to do. I nedd to get a sled to use for it though... Im thinking something along the lines of a Gen II sks/rmk with larger than a 600 motor. Are these good sleds for doing Water X? I would most likly be doing the drag races so turning isnt an issue, but are the longer tracks good ro bad for water skipping? faster or more manuverable? how about an XLT?

·
Registered
12 Posts
go with a short track and the best water sleds ARE sleds from the 90's like a EXT or a XLT are the best if you ask me a EXT will go a tank of gas without touching the land. thats what Im running next year for water x

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You are my idol! Ive always wanted to do this!! There are many sleds that would be good on water but obviously your looking for something powerful and lightweight. Twin 600/700/800 would be nice. Edge/MXZ/Firecat 121" would all be nice. Big 1.75 paddle would work great. Short skis, lowerd suspension. And however long the distance of the racing is; Gearing and clutching to go with the gear and all your other modifications; pipes, reeds, air filters, race fuel if needed, that is if you want to go real far, if i had money i would have that done. Anyway that is awesome you want to do something different. If you do start it in let me know how it is. Good Luck!

·
Registered
384 Posts
James007 said:
You are my idol! Ive always wanted to do this!! There are many sleds that would be good on water but obviously your looking for something powerful and lightweight. Twin 600/700/800 would be nice. Edge/MXZ/Firecat 121" [/color=red]would all be nice. Big 1.75 paddle would work great. Short skis, lowerd suspension. And however long the distance of the racing is; Gearing and clutching to go with the gear and all your other modifications; pipes, reeds, air filters, race fuel if needed, that is if you want to go real far, if i had money i would have that done. Anyway that is awesome you want to do something different. If you do start it in let me know how it is. Good Luck!

Um....Firecats= 128" not 121". But yea, go for lightweight. rip off the seat and stuff since you wont need it, and once they get wet you cant dry them out easily anyway.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
doomer67 said:
James007 said:
You are my idol! Ive always wanted to do this!! There are many sleds that would be good on water but obviously your looking for something powerful and lightweight. Twin 600/700/800 would be nice. Edge/MXZ/Firecat 121" [/color=red]would all be nice. Big 1.75 paddle would work great. Short skis, lowerd suspension. And however long the distance of the racing is; Gearing and clutching to go with the gear and all your other modifications; pipes, reeds, air filters, race fuel if needed, that is if you want to go real far, if i had money i would have that done. Anyway that is awesome you want to do something different. If you do start it in let me know how it is. Good Luck!

Um....Firecats= 128" not 121". But yea, go for lightweight. rip off the seat and stuff since you wont need it, and once they get wet you cant dry them out easily anyway.

Ahh didn't know that!

·
Registered
718 Posts
don't bigger lugs = more water drag? therefore less track speed? there was a topic on here somewhere that you need atleast 60 mph of track speed to skip on water.

·
Registered
918 Posts
^^^ Im gonna have to call you on that one. I dont think you want over 40. When ever I cross water aadn am really on it I feel like I start to spin out when I get it up there. Jus my .02

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
shady800x said:
don't bigger lugs = more water drag? therefore less track speed? there was a topic on here somewhere that you need atleast 60 mph of track speed to skip on water.
Maybe, im not 100% correct but it would make more sense to me having big lugs over studs or small lugs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah you were to think bigger lugs would be better for watercross but there not because it throws more water underneath your tunnel which creates more weight and drag. Your best with a standard 1.25 lug track

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, i found a XLT with 3000 miles for $600. no pics or engine size listed, but i think its a 650 triple. if it doesnt have crank problems im buying it for sure!!!
i cant wait. i plan to race in Grantsburg, WI this summer if everything goes smoothly

·
Registered
538 Posts
Dragon700 said:
ok, i found a XLT with 3000 miles for $600. no pics or engine size listed, but i think its a 650 triple. if it doesnt have crank problems im buying it for sure!!!
i cant wait. i plan to race in Grantsburg, WI this summer if everything goes smoothly
600 piston port tripple. Buy it, clutch it, and gear it. Have fun

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My Buddy races Water X, Drag racing and the track(one with turns).

-For the drag racing type Water-X: He uses a 2001 Polaris XcSp with a 770(kit motor, same as 660 kit, but with 700 motor and 800 pistons), he runs twin pipes, jets for warm weather, mild gearing, full cluthing set-up for bottom end & a 1.352" Camoplast Cobra track (no studs), all light weight, aftermarket bars, lightweight hood, suspention, 1 clip ever 4th hole, lightweight steering post, no seat, no windshield, no bumpers, no snowflap, short c&a's, etc......

-Turning track Water-X: He runs a 2003 Polaris Pro-X 800, stock motor with twin pipes, jetted, clutched, and geared similar to XcSp^^. close to same set-up as XcSp.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
barney said:
Dragon700 said:
600 piston port tripple. Buy it, clutch it, and gear it. Have fun
In MN you also need to register it as a watercraft if you want to be legal.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I would say an XLT 600. Run a 1.25" to a 1.5" track. To big of a track will make turning on water harder ( because your ass cant slide ), and will flood your tunnel causing drag on the track. Plastic skis with short carbides. Remove your seat, and add a riser ( adds a pivot point to help ease steering ). Keep your clutches dry, and cool. To hot and you get belt slip. Wet clutches will also slip. Make sure you have prefilters. Water in your motor = bad. I've seen special watercross buoys that are on a quick release. Also make sure to wear your tether, and if your sled goes down push your killswitch, then jump off. You wont as little amount of studs, with the least amounts of holes ( clips and stud holes ).

Stay clear of firecats for water-x. Their tracks are 128x13.5". That skinny track will cause it to trench. Although, my SnoPro 440/700 stood up on water.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I heard something about putting a 1.25 inch track on backwards works best? Something like that but not sure. Another thing would be that xlt's are really heavy. I think you have to crank the front suspension up like crazy and seal bellypan holes and a whole bunch of other stuff there was a really good website but i dont know it anymore.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the tips guys. and Sledneck. i can see me blazing across a pond and DNR trying to pull me over because it isnt registered! that would be hillarious!

and the XLT for $ 600 im thinking its got a scored piston or jug. if its bad ill buy it fix it and sell it for a profit!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts