Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sled came with a little short tie down looking thing in the tool bag. Was told some time ago its for starting your sled. I had no idea. I think its supposed to wrap around the primary somehow. Anybody really know the technique? The tool kit posting made me think of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
Yep, you wrap in around the primary counter clockwise as you are standing on the clutch side. I've had to use mine before when the recoil rope broke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
DO NOT WRAP IT AROUND YOUR HAND!!!!! If it gets caught and it is wrapped around your hand....very bad. Just carefully wrap the strap around your clutch, grip the other end, and pull hard all the way until the strap comes up and out of the engine compartment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
^^^^what he said^^^^

Some of these "emergency ropes" have handles, some don't.
Most tool kits come with a srewdriver or something other than your hand to wrap the strap around to get a better pull.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,184 Posts
My sled came with one also. Most Polaris sleds ive found you can turn the primary by hand enough to get it started.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
mine came with one and have had to use it a couple times and it worked great. the only part that sucks is wrapping it around the clutch time after time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
I tried it once, won't work with 150 psi of compression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This would be a good place for a video description. Where on the primary do you attach it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
Where the weights are, on the out side. Pretend you are wrapping a beer bottle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
This is a good post, because my sled came with one and I know what it's used for but I don't know how to use it. If someone could make a video of doing it the proper way it'd be really helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Originally posted by TheKuskokid
[br]DO NOT WRAP IT AROUND YOUR HAND!!!!! If it gets caught and it is wrapped around your hand....very bad. Just carefully wrap the strap around your clutch, grip the other end, and pull hard all the way until the strap comes up and out of the engine compartment.
Yah....What the kid said, "DO NOT WRAP IT AROUND YOUR HAND!!!!!"

[attachment=49513]

(This is not my hand.)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
i used mine on my 440 last year when i pulled the handle off of my rope (so frustrating) it pulled for ever, then after my ahnds were frozen, i stick them in my pockets,, MY KEY.... lol worked great with the key in ! LOL

Think about which way you engine turns while it is running... then wrap the stap in the driection to make your clutch spin as if it were running....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
I've seen it done once. Pull it the way the starter rope would and hope your sled starts on the first or second pull. Almost missed out on a big ride because somone's starter rope broke. Stand clear in case the rope hooks up to well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Originally posted by F6CATMAN
[br]I've seen it done once. Pull it the way the starter rope would and hope your sled starts on the first or second pull. Almost missed out on a big ride because somone's starter rope broke. Stand clear in case the rope hooks up to well.
I seem to remember that. Keep a rope close by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Would it be possible to kinda push start a sled like on a car by towing it to speed enough to get the motor turning? Just curious seems like it would work as long as you dont run into the sled in front of you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
Originally posted by DTRSsouth
[br]Would it be possible to kinda push start a sled like on a car by towing it to speed enough to get the motor turning? Just curious seems like it would work as long as you dont run into the sled in front of you...
No it wouldn't work, there is no tension on the belt to spin the motor by turning the track.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top