Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two new state laws affect snowmobilers
People operating snowmobiles in Wisconsin this winter need to be aware of two new state laws, one setting a 55 mile per hour nighttime speed limit and a second setting noise levels for snowmobiles.

The 55 mph nighttime speed limit applies to all areas statewide from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.

The noise level law establishes an 88 decibel limit for all snowmobiles manufactured after July 1, 1975.
Both new laws result from cooperative efforts between the state Department of Natural Resources and the Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs (AWSC).

During last winter's snowmobile season 69 percent of Wisconsin's fatal accidents occurred at night and 67 percent were speed related, according to Gary Eddy, DNR snowmobile administrator.

State legislators, along with the DNR and AWSC regarded a nighttime speed limit as the most reasonable approach to curbing the number of snowmobile-related fatalities. The 55 mph nighttime speed limit is a one-year trial program, which lawmakers will evaluate before voting to extend the measure beyond this coming season, Eddy said.

“More than 200,000 registered snowmobiles are expected to hit Wisconsin's 25,000 miles of groomed trails this winter, making safety an important part of the ride,” Eddy says. “It's a proven fact that nighttime speeds over 50 to 55 miles per hour greatly reduce your ability to react in time to avoid a collision. The speed limit will help keep nighttime sledding safe and assist law enforcement with addressing unsafe night operation and is expected to reduce nighttime crashes, which all too often results in injury accidents or fatalities.”

Eddy said snowmobilers traveling faster than 50 to 55 miles per hour at night actually over-ride their headlights, meaning that once an operator observes an obstacle they wouldn't be able to react in time to avoid hitting it. Trees, fences, lakeshores, open water, and sharp turns all can come up fast while traveling at high speeds, posing serious danger to riders. Eddy recommends that snowmobilers traveling at night do not exceed 45 mph. At this speed snowmobilers should be able to come to a complete stop, under normal conditions, prior to hitting an obstruction.

“Excessive snowmobile exhaust noise also greatly hampers the excellent work our snowmobile clubs have done to secure permission for trails and routes on or along private property,” Eddy says. “Public complaints about muffler noise can and has led to the closure of trails for snowmobile use. Wardens hope enforcing this decibel limit will effectively deter loud exhaust systems from being used on snowmobiles that are running on the trail system.”

Snowmobiles must have a muffler in good working order, which blends the exhaust noise into the overall engine noise and which doesn't exceed 88 decibels. It is also illegal to modify a snowmobile's exhaust in any manner that will amplify or increase the total noise emission above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally manufactured, regardless of the date of manufacture.

The nighttime speed limit and the 88 decibel limit were signed into law by Gov. Jim Doyle on March 27.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I just read on Snowgoer (I think) about the 88 dbl limit. It doesn't sound too bad. Speaking as a New Yorker ours is the old school 72 dbl law. The stock exhaust on most machines is 76 - 80 I believe is what I researched last year. At least in WI they give you room to play. I also read that there is a certain way to measure sound. On grass or snow, a certain distance at 4K rpms for a minute or so? I'll look for the article so I get it right.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I just saw something in the Wisconsin Snowmobile News about 55 miles an hour at night, but I didn't see an article to go with it.
55 at night seems ok by me, and because of speedometer inaccuracies, you can go 60 and still be legal.
I just hope they don't go overboard and set some unreasonably low speed limit during the day.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Originally posted by Intimdtr77
[br]I just read on Snowgoer (I think) about the 88 dbl limit. It doesn't sound too bad. Speaking as a New Yorker ours is the old school 72 dbl law. The stock exhaust on most machines is 76 - 80 I believe is what I researched last year. At least in WI they give you room to play. I also read that there is a certain way to measure sound. On grass or snow, a certain distance at 4K rpms for a minute or so? I'll look for the article so I get it right.

According to the new law there is no room to play, "It is also illegal to modify a snowmobile's exhaust in any manner that will amplify or increase the total noise emission above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally manufactured, regardless of the date of manufacture." That means no aftermarket exhaust cans or pipes which IMO equals no room to play

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Read this from last year. http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/enforcement/safety/snowstats06.htm
Most of the people that died were plan DRUNK and they still list speed as the primary reason. Come on they were drunk and could not handle the sled. Speed did not kill them their stupidity did.

Read the on about the 13 yo girl this happened by us. The county/state cops were agruing about who had jusisdiction on the area, secondary reason why she died, the guy from texas was on a rental and unsure of the area.

I don't care about the 55 mph at night since I don't ride at night but atleast the should do something about the drinking.

Do you know it is illegal to pull over a sledder for suspesion(sp?) of drinking, you have to find some other reason, same deal with feild sobriety check points. Illegal to have them.

The tavern league padded some government officials pocket.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Do we even have a speed limit in manitoba? and do we even have a sound limit? cuz i know for the sound one we would all fail.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Originally posted by powersledder
[br]
[br]I just read on Snowgoer (I think) about the 88 dbl limit. It doesn't sound too bad. Speaking as a New Yorker ours is the old school 72 dbl law. The stock exhaust on most machines is 76 - 80 I believe is what I researched last year. At least in WI they give you room to play. I also read that there is a certain way to measure sound. On grass or snow, a certain distance at 4K rpms for a minute or so? I'll look for the article so I get it right.

According to the new law there is no room to play, "It is also illegal to modify a snowmobile's exhaust in any manner that will amplify or increase the total noise emission above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally manufactured, regardless of the date of manufacture." That means no aftermarket exhaust cans or pipes which IMO equals no room to play
That was in there too. The way the article made it sound was that they were dis-sontinuing the law about any mods but enforcing the dbl level.

·
Registered
985 Posts
[br]

all right what happens if you have a stock exhaust and its over 88db??? you can't change it, and you can't ride it like it is.
BS there just allowing the cops todo whatever they want. which is fine as long as your cops are level headed normal people.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
[br]

If you talk to the guys at slp and other exhaust manufactors. They state that their cans/pipes combo meets the sound requirments.

The only exhaust that I know of that doesn't meet is the mbrp race can.

I asked the dnr guy at the snow show what they would do with stock sleds that are over the limit. He said not sure.

As long as you don't try to increase your sleds sound/noise output you can pipe it all you want.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
88 Decibals eh?? Well so much for me ever riding in Wisconsin [:D]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^Nope sound ordinace for them also.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
you know in a way i find the 88db law stupid. on cars and trucks the exaust can be as loud as you want as long as there are mufflers under the car.same goes for motorcycles.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I don't care about the 55 mph at night since I don't ride at night but atleast the should do something about the drinking.
What do you want them to do? Last year they had many more patrols looking for drinking and riding. There are laws against it, but some idiots don't care. They can only put so many officers on sleds. They will never catch everyone.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I want them to have trail side sobriety check points.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]you know in a way I find the 88db law stupid. on cars and trucks the exaust can be as loud as you want as long as there are mufflers under the car.same goes for motorcycles.
No, there are sounds level laws for vehicles too. Not sure where you heard this. The 88db law is not stupid. This goes off on another debate, but loud pipes do indeed help close trails, despite what loud pipe fans say.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]you know in a way i find the 88db law stupid. on cars and trucks the exaust can be as loud as you want as long as there are mufflers under the car.same goes for motorcycles.
Private land owners complain and shut the trails down that cross there land. Can't do that with public roads.

There is a sound ordinace for cars/trucks/bikes but it is rarely enforced unless you are in town and a kid. I hardly ever see or hear about a person over 30 pulled over for loud exhaust. It is mainly young kids.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty
[br]Why don't they just issue state provided ear plugs for all the bitches that complain about noise?
There is more to it than just noise.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts