Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got her put back together anda still wont fire. I have spark, Fuel and goo compression. When I put in the new crank I put the stator on the middle mark, Now what way should I turn it?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I have moved the stator both ways. No luck. I do have spark but maybe not as strong as it should be. How do I cheak if it is the stator,coil or cdi? Never really done much with the electrical. I would like to ride her one more time before the snow goes. Please help

·
Registered
19 Posts
The timing with the stator has to be pretty exact. It did for me atleast.
If you have spark it's not going to be the cdi i'm pretty sure.

Does it turn over??
When i rebuilt my sled i had it together and everything worked good but it took FOREVER for it to get any gas, so check the fuel and make sure it is getting it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have gas on the plugs. That took about 100 pulls, and I am tired of pulling it over. I have had the stator all the way to the left and in the middle but still nothing. It is a '96 580 arctic cat carb. if anyone has any info please let me know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
what is your compression? are your plugs new? how about reeds? old or bad gas? it should run nomater where you have the stator plate mark but middle would be best untill you can get it timed properly. [:D]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did get it running. It does have abog but i think that it is the carbs. What is the difference between advanced and retarded? The rpm does not always want to advance from an idle. If you slowly get it up it is fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
the best way to answer that question in short form is to take an average run of the mill engine 2 or 4 stroke. think like you have a firecracker with a fuse on it you light it and shortly after it goes bang! the spark on a spark plug ignites gas vapour and very shortly later it goes bang! the idea of ignition curcuits is to advance the spark by a little bit so the bang hits on top dead center of your piston travel so the most work or power can be created. if you advance your spark the bang will be too quick which will try to drive the piston backwards before it gets to the top (preignition) and if you retard your timing (make it later) your bang happens after the piston is allready on its way down. this makes for a lazy engine that wants to run hot. most engines like 10 crank degrees before top dead center at low speed and around 30 degrees at high speed.(very general) you should get somebody to time your engine to speck.hope this makes it all a little easier to understand.[^]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a timing light But not quite sure how to use it on a sled. What spark plug wire do you put it on? And at what RPM do you do it at?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts