Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Polaris xc700sp. When it is cold it starts and runs fine. After about 10 - 15 minutes it just quits. There is no spark at all until it cools off for a couple hours. Then it will start and run fine for a few minutes.
Is this how a faulty stator would act? Is there something else I should check first?

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think you can use a multi-meter to see if the stator is putting out any voltage. Tap into the wires and read the voltage when cold and you know it is running, then after it dies recheck voltage. Easier way but not the most scientific is to see if the headlight lights up when you are a pulling it over.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Stator is a possibility, don't forget to check simpler things like plug caps, wires, and CDI coil too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. I did rule out all the simple things like the plug caps, wires, etc. I narrowed it down to the CDI coil or the stator. The 3 dealers I spoke to all thought the chances of the problem being the CDI coil were very very small so I ordered the stator. I wish I had more patience and waited till this morning because I would have checked the headlights to see if they were working. Oh well, when yo live in Southern NH you gotta ride while you have the chance. It won't be long till MX season if here.
Thanks Jon

·
Registered
105 Posts
The ignition portion of your stator is seperate from the charging portion. One part can go out without the other part being effected, so the light method is not always the best way. Just use a voltmeter to be sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I be doing a voltage test or a continuity test. If it's a voltage test, what should the output be? The shop I ordered the new stator from 2nd day air didn't do it until 2 days after I asked them to. Now I have no sled this weekend so I figured I would mess with the stator.

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
105 Posts
you need to find the two output wires of the stator. Then, use the VOLTS AC setting on your meter. Your reading on a good pull should be somewhere in the 15-35 volt range, youll be able to tell if it's not working because the reading will be very small.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. There are 2 sets of wires going to the CDI/Coil. One bundle has 2 wires and the other bundle has 3 wires. The bundle with 3 wires has a ground wire in there. I will test the other four wires as you sugest.

Jon

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds to me like the bundle of 3 is the stator, and the bundle of 2 is the trigger coil. Your want the bundle of three, and test off of the two that aren't grounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I finally got around to testing the stator. I just wanted to make sure it was bad before I put down the cash for the new one. I tested the 2 wires from the 3 wire bundle when the sled had spark and then after running the sled and it dies with no spark. Both before and after I got around 15 AC volts. I even tested all the wires with Ohms and got the same readings before and after.
I guess this means the stator is good.
I'm now leaning to the CDI/Coil (one unit on the 2000 XC 700). Is there a way to test this? What should I look for? AC volts, OHMS?

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
105 Posts
all you do is hook one end of your probe to the MAG side spark plug cap, and the other to the engine(ground) and pull on it. I dont know what the reading should be... if you have a polairs book it will tell you. Dont connect one probe to each plug wire as that will fry your meter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is also a way to test continuity, but i dont know how on polairs. Either way, the volatge reading will tell you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts