Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1994 AC cougar 440 liquid, for my wife. It would be her first sled. It is a friend of mine that has it, but he said that it needs a new stator coil. My question is, is the stator a common problem on the 440 liquids?, I have heard that it is. I also wonder, is it going to be costly to fix? I have heard that you can repair a stator, but is it as good as new? I can buy the sled for $300-$400. Will it be worth the buy, or is it going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i would put a couple hundred bucks into it and have a 500 dollar sled.
hopefully we get some snow this winterbut if we dont youre not out alot
of money.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It probably has two different coils on it; one for lighting, one for the engine (exciter). Each can be replaced or rewound. Price for the lighting coil on my 94 two years ago was a little over 100 bucks..

Mid 90's AC stators are problematic; some guys have drilled multiple holes in the rewind, which has allowed cooling air to keep the stator cooler, and has resulted in better life... You may want to go visit www.ArcticChat.com as they have a LOT of info regarding AC stators on there...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I will have to put atleast a couple hundred in this machine for it to run. Doesn't sound like it will be a money pit. I heard that they are reliable machines in good working order. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts