Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my 2001 polaris 550 fan cooled sport touring. For the past month it has been harder and harder to start. This past weekend I tried to start it and it would not start. Checked and found the unit had on spark. After speaking to several people they tell me it may be a shorted stator. Does anyone on here know how to troubleshoot the stator? I missed out on the best day of snow because I could not get it started. I need to sled more before the end of the season....

· Registered
199 Posts
I don't know if this will help but I have the stats for 2001 indy 500,600 xc indy 600 edge and indy 800 xc sp they are all the same as per the polaris 2001 performance service manual

stator wires resistance +0r - 20%
y to brn 0.15 ohms
grn to blk/r 15 ohms
grn to ground open
grn to r 15 ohms
w to w/r 185 ohms
brn ground

Ignition coil resistance +0r - 20%
Black to white 3 ohms
black to secondary lead open
plug lead to plug lead 5k ohms + 10 k ohms for caps

· Registered
67 Posts
readytoride said:
I am having problems with my 2001 polaris 550 fan cooled sport touring. For the past month it has been harder and harder to start. This past weekend I tried to start it and it would not start. Checked and found the unit had on spark. After speaking to several people they tell me it may be a shorted stator. Does anyone on here know how to troubleshoot the stator? I missed out on the best day of snow because I could not get it started. I need to sled more before the end of the season....
Before you start riping appart your sled to get to the stator plate I would do the simple things first.
1 new plugs if that dosent work
2 test your plug caps if they are ok then
3 test your coils if there ok then
4 try a different cdi pack if thats ok then yes check your stator plate. Find another one and install it and see what happens.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After some carefull testing and alot of cursing I have found the stator to be bad. Does anyone have any suggestions where to purchase this part at the best price. I have received quotes from different web sites ranging from $300 to $700. I was kinda hoping to find one a little cheaper. Any suggestions would be greatly apprectiated...

· Registered
199 Posts
e-bay is good resource just have them do the test that I gave earlier in the post good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-RMK-550-Fan-Stator-Great-Shape_W0QQitemZ320495159395QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSnowmobile_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9f000863#ht_500wt_975

· Registered
3,748 Posts
650indy1 said:
w to w/r 185 ohms
I have found this information to be wrong. Tested it on three different sleds, and W to W/R is an open circuit. Does anybody know what the proper wire colors are for this test?

Also, remember that the brown and yellow wires are the ones that are on the main plug down by the engine, not the wires that go to the CDI box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.