Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock set of steel skis for a 95 XCR 440. If I put Polaris stock plastic skis on, can I re use my old rubber bumpers where the ski mounts?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have a 91 Indy 400 with steel skis and a 2000 xc sp 600 with stock plastic skis. I'm looking to get aftermarket skis for the 600 and put the stock plastic ones on the 400. It looks to me like the skis will work fine, but the rubber bushing is quite different. It looks to me like you'll need the narrower modern rubber to go with the new skis. I'm by no means an expert, but nobody was answering you so I thought I'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I didn't have a problem with the swap on a 96' xcr, but the difference was the plastic ski would hit the trailing arm and chatter, or bounce off of it when riding,just a little anoying that's all

·
Registered
593 Posts
I did a conversion on my 1991 sport 440, I had to get new rubber pieces because my pieces off of the metal ski were way too wide. If you get aftermarket skis a new rubber piece comes with it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I put a pair of plastic skis from an '04 XC on my 96 XLT last season. Swapped right over w/o a problem.

·
Registered
511 Posts
shouldn't be a problem!!! if it is you should be able to get a used set of the rubber bushings from your dealer or a salvage yard or somewhere for cheap.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So some say it works, some say it doesn't...

Ultra680, do you mean you need the specific plastic ski rubbers for it to work properly, but some are saying I don't.

What should I do?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
i would just try it out first, if it doesnt fit then just take a knife to the rubber and hack it up a little, if it still doesnt work i would just buy a new rubber or go to a salvage yard.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The correct rubbers fit best. You can use the original ones, but they fit wrong and the skis won't pivot correctly. They act as stops and dampeners. I tried it, and wasted a lot of time.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
How are you guys putting the rubbers in, the high side to the front or rear. My carbides are wearing on the front pretty fast.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
i put them high to the rear so that the skis dont tip down when the skis are off the ground

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Carbides will naturally wear on the front faster than the rear. That is where the most force is, and the carbide is always set slightly rear of center on the ski, for better handling. They will wear especially fast if the snow conditions are poor, or a lot of roads are crossed.

The rubber should be high side towards the front. If that makes you ski point downward, something else is wrong. The ski may tip down slightly because the front is heavier. But if you put the rubber in backwards, isn't there always compression on the back side of the ski? And when you lift the front of the machine up, do the ski tips point toward the sky?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
There is not alot of wear but I can see it. I am not sure how the rubber blocks are. If I remember right the skis do sit down a little when off the ground.

Polaris states that if there is a darting issue to put the high side of the block to the rear.

I don't have a darting problem at all. Nor a steering issue more like a wear issue.
I will check tomorrow and see how the blocks are.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Originally posted by 700sks
[br]I didn't have a problem with the swap on a 96' xcr, but the difference was the plastic ski would hit the trailing arm and chatter, or bounce off of it when riding,just a little anoying that's all
That is because you need the longer spindles. Most people swap skis without also swapping for the longer spindles, and this is the result. The saddle of the plastic ski sits about an inch lower to the ground than the saddle on the steel ski. Thus when the skis are swapped your front end is now an inch closer to the ground, and at the same time the bottom of your ski will be closer to your trailing arm, that is why you heard this chatter.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
^^^Must depend on what ski you use then. I had no such problems with my SLT skiis, but then again they sell you a saddle that is specific to your model sled.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
We put plastic skis from a 99 on my GFs 95 xcr 440. the rubber is much wider for the steel skis but we made it work. Also the saddle of the plastic ski is a bit wider so I couldnt get the cotter pin through the bolt and nut. Ill have to pick up a new. Dacktruckie99 is correct about the saddle height differences also, all you need to do is get newer spindles to correct the problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts