Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question :)

My 98 sle will not steer worth a SH-- on dry pavement...like when having to cross a road to go from trail to trail. It only likes to go straight until I hit snow.

My wifes 97 LE does not have this problem.

Does this mean I need to adjust the front steering weight?

Thanks again

·
Registered
412 Posts
You really shouldn't try to steer on pavement anyway; it prematurely wears your carbides or wearbars. Going across pavement should be done as little as possible and then try to line up before you hit the pavement, go straight across to the other side keeping your skis straight, and make your turns once you are across on the other side.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

Our trails cross roads...which have little to snow on them during normal riding. Don't have a choice.

Cheers

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do it my way.... point then shoot! works every time.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my 83 polaris indy 600 will actually turn on pavement. but then i have it adjusted with more ski pressure on it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The one crossing, I always end up off the trail climbing a huge snow bank. It's fun tho, I throw snow across the road, the thing that sucks is you really need to be carefull so you don't spin of the pavement, I haven't yet, I always remember don't hit the gas until the track is off the highway.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
turning on pavement is pretty much useless, at night u can see the sparks fly just driving straight across it w/o tryin to turn

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I hate the sound of the sliders of my sled hitting the ground.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
everytime I put new carbides on my sled handles like a corvette while driving towards the gas pumps...that lasts a few times and then my sled just goes straight. Your carbides are probably a bit flat

·
Registered
55 Posts
i like to try to do a catwalk across never did make it all the way across yet lol but the thing is to not spin on the pavement. At the first of the year i put old shitty skies on my sled when i was getting it fine tuned 80 mph on pretty well dry pavement lol should have seen the sparks fly lol then later on went out at night and did the same think[:)] but i did have some steering at that speed

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you adjust your camber to a negative (-1 or -2 degrees) and new carbides it should turn relatively easy. I find 8"-10" carbide is best, not that I doo a lot of road running!!!!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I've never rode a sled that would turn on pavement. What you do is line up your sled before you hit the pavement, and zip accross.

-Dean

·
Registered
425 Posts
I rode a sled that had no carbide only hardened steel runners (sometimes called hardbars). I could never cross the road straight. Once I got the sled I have now, it has carbide runners, and it's basically point the sled in the direction you want to go and you are there. No problems. I think the carbide helps alot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts