Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell is wrong with ski-doo steering stems it broke off on my bros sled which resulted in him totaling it and now mine just snapped off lucky it didnt take off on me im just wondering if risers have anything to do with it cuz i'd think theres more pressure going on it then the stock one but stuff happens so im just wondering how much welding it could cost or should i buy a whole new one and have no clue what that'd cost.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well, if your having problems then buying a new one probably won't cure anything. You should take it to a welding shop and see if they can somehow brace it. I did this with a Friends exciter last year. I stuffed a solid rod into the steering shaft. I left a small gap in the post to weld the rod. Then I welded 2 small gussets from the shaft to the bar mount. At the end of the season, his main hoop broke off at the bulkhead from beating the sled so hard, But the shaft never broke.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yes your risers are to blame, its the whole leverage thing.
Like above shove a chunk of rod in it and weld it up, it will be stronger, but may break some were else.
My experence is to keep an eye on it, the break over time and not in one ride, if you see cracking then weld up the crack, and keep an eye on it

·
Registered
644 Posts
so does this happen to all risers on all sleds.. or is it just the sleds steering shaft is not meant for the risers
??

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well im getting a new sled ive been having snow much problems with ski-doos im switching to polaris im sick of all this stuff breaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts