Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I would happen to buy 6" dual carbide runners, wouldn't I have more steering capability then if I bought 8" single carbides. Need some help here don't want to waste my money.
I figure with the dual I would be pushing 12" of carbide under each ski.... Am I misunderstanding something?

thanks,
Machscooter

·
Registered
985 Posts
well 6" duals are not the same as 12" of carbide.
but they probably would do better than 8".
i personally do not like duals.
give me a 9" shaper bar anyday.

it has been my experience that 4" duals were not anybetter than 4" singles.
except for wear. they still seem hard to control. though some people claim they dart less.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I have never used dual carbides, but I do not think that 6 inch duals would be as good as 12 inch singles. Maybe better than single 8s, though. One thing that I thought of is that your ski tips to the side slightly when steering. Technically if you were on flat glare ice, the 6 inch dual would be no better than a 6 inch single.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the deal,

Last year I stuck in 96 picks in my 99 mach 700, this is what the dealer suggested at the time. The dealer was wrong and the set up did very little for me.

this year I wanted to double it to 192 in the center of the track, this time the same dealer suggested not to go over 144. I know what 96 was doing for me and I refuse to listen to this logic again. so I added 192.

Now it's my understanding, cuz of all the picks I have I will probably get more of a push out of the turns. This is why I am wondering if 6" duals are going to be good enough??

Oh yeah"
Most of my riding is lake running , but when i hit the trails I don't want to be pushing like a plow??? Any suggestions???

thank's in advance
MachScooter

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i think 192 studs is overkill for your sled. but anyway, i'd go with what bulldog_shotgun is saying on this one personally.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
most people that i ride with, with the big bore sleds who run more than 144 studs run 8" to 10" carbides. I tryied my uncles srx 700 with 10" and was amazed with the turning on trails and roads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that 192 sounds like a lot, but you need to drive this thing. I don't know if it's because the triples are such pig's or I need to start drinking diet. But this thing would just not hook up. I really wanted to do with less just because of the price factor.But everyone that drove it said adding 48 more like the dealer suggested would not help much.
But I appreciate you thoughts and I'll probably go with a 9' single.

Thanks much,
Machscooter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.