Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the end of last year i blew my 01 super sport 550 up, i cracked the skirts right off the pistons. well i got all the metal out of the crankcase and put a new top end kit in it, did stock pistons and rings because the cylenders didn't even get a skuff on them. it has 120 psi in each cyclender now and idles fine and takes of fine, but it will only reach 30 on the speedo. it doesn't even feel like its doing 30. i don't kow what i did wrong, or wear i should start looking? anyt help will be great.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Did you mark the stator and put it back in the right position?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no... how do i tell were the stator should be. i didn't take the stator off

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
oh, you never split the case? I thought you said rebuilt.. Nevermind the stator then, it won't be effected.

Does it rev up if you take the belt off? Did you maybe have the parking brake on, or is the brake stuck?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya not a full rebuild just top end, and no brake issue, it'll rev up take off just fine, it'll actually even lift the ski's a lil if oyou try haha, but in a field when you try to open it up it stays steady at 30mph motor sounds fine no essesive reves or anything just no top end speed, i no its not a speed demon but it use to read atleast 70 on the speedo and it would feel like you were actually moving now it just feels like your putting along. would a leaking crank seal or base gasket do this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i cleaned the carbs when it was all apart but ya still possible, and i'll probably do a fuel pump rebuild kit. could it possible be somehting in the clutches?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
combs136 said:
i cleaned the carbs when it was all apart but ya still possible, and i'll probably do a fuel pump rebuild kit. could it possible be somehting in the clutches?
Yup maybe since you had the motor out and out back in the clutches arnt lined up now

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Sounds like clutching or suspension dragging to me..

See what RPM the engine revs to without the belt on, then try again on the trail. If there's a difference you can blame the drivetrain.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Does your sled have hoses from the air box to the carbs? My 2001 xcsp 600 did and would start out fine but would fall flat if one of the air lines fell off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never took the motor out. I'll try the rev test with no belt and take a look for that hose thanks a lot guys any more sugestions keep them coming

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
combs136 said:
Never took the motor out. I'll try the rev test with no belt and take a look for that hose thanks a lot guys any more sugestions keep them coming
If you "rev" the motor wothout a belt, you will be buying a new clutch. The sheeves will slam together and the rest will be history.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
TriumphoverU said:
combs136 said:
If you "rev" the motor wothout a belt, you will be buying a new clutch. The sheeves will slam together and the rest will be history.
never happened to me

·
Registered
591 Posts
TriumphoverU said:
combs136 said:
never happened to me either.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just don't rev it too quickly. Go easy with it, not just stab the gas.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
There is no way the sheaves can slam together unless the clutch is sticking...

First of all, the sheaves are open at idle and close as it spins.

The faster it spins, the weights close the sheaves more, and hold it there till it spins down and they re-open. They are opposed by the spring which keeps tension against the weights. It cannot slam, if it's functioning properly, because you cannot change the speed fast enough.

I've thought about that for a while, and actually tried it on my sleds, and have not damaged any clutches by doing do.

And, technically, the clutch sheaves never touch on a primary so they can't slam together. (secondary is another story)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sled revs up about the same with out the belt as it does with the belt, so i'm still stumped

1 - 17 of 17 Posts