Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up a 96 ultra that was is desperate need of some attention. I'm in the process of going through the entire machine and fixing whatever I come by. It is currently tripled piped, but I would like to return it to stock form. What I am in need of is the stock setting for the carbs. Main and pilot jet sizes, needles, and needle jet sizes and what clip the needles are at. If anyone know this information I would greatly appreciate it. Thnx!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
check out partsland.com

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks madcow, it looks like 340 mains and 50 pilots. For the needle and needle jet it says they are obsolete so it doesn't give me a size or part number. Anyone happen to know what they are? Or how to set the carbs up, needle clip, air screw turns? Thnx!

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
The service manual with the settings, jet sizes, is in my gallery under manuals.

The information you seek, is in there.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You're gonna lose close to 50 hp when you ditch the triple pipes on that sled.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize I'll lose power going back to stock. I've had a piped ultra before, I prefer to spend more of my time riding instead of tuning this time around...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if I was going to triple pipe an ultra for trail riding I would get some xcr 600, spx, xcr 800 or storm pipes and make them fit in the ultra chassis. with a little engine work, set the heads a little bit, gear it and clutch it and that sled would be a day to day driver that would have a good punch.

even the stock single pipe with the above work it would be a surprising machine.

a guy tuning hp to the ground will beat a guy buying crank hp all day long.

·
Registered
292 Posts
They aren't all that hard to tune... Just get the SPX needles! Returning everything to stock, and tuning it is just as difficult... If you think your just gonna be able to swap in ALL the stock parts/jets/springs ect. & it's gonna run great without spending any time dialing it in, youre dreaming! Keep the pipes, & spend the tuning it, you WONT be disapointed!

Good luck to you!

Cheers, Gian.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the slps weren't all that bad psi were horrible, when you had it dialed in they screamed but the aftermarket pipes are more fussy then the stock triple pipes. they make more power but they need more tuning. with the holtzman tempa flow you take a day to get it dialed in and then you are pretty well setup for the season. but when the ultra's came out holtzman wasn't around.

·
Registered
827 Posts
My 96 Ultra SP with SLP pipes was an absolute beast at all temps. I never had to mess with it. It ran good above freezing or at -30.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts