Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Storm Gearing

26K views 165 replies 13 participants last post by  98storm 
#1 ·
I was looking for some suggestions on gearing for my storm. Its on 95 storm with porting and pipes. I do mostly trail riding but also alot of lake running. I still want to be able to pull 115 - 120 across a long run. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
When my Storm was geared 21/37 (1.76) it would still radar 113+mph on hard pack snow. The speedo was well past 120mph. With your porting and pipes you run more rpm so it should topend higher mph with that gear ratio. I like the 21/39 ratio much better though, allot more torque to the track and it still will radar 110+mph with a 136in Cobra track.

#5 ·
BattleStorm said:
Ok, What pipes, porting, do you have? Any idea what rpm peak hp is at? Which cylinders are you running, the 94'-95' style or the updated 95'-98's? What track and are you useing studs? What clutching does it have now and how does it perform, rpm?
The pipes are PSI Modblasters. PSI says to run about 8600-8700 with porting. The cylinders are 95's and they are nikisil so i'm assuming that they are the updated ones. The porting is getting done by Hot To Go right now and they are also machining the heads to run premium. HTG claims that it will be making about 180 HP. The track is a newer polaris 1" track with 192 studs. The motor is going into a totally different chassis this year. I am putting it into a 96 Ultra (wedge chassis) with extra 10. Riding conditions are mostly aggressive trail but also a lot of radar runs. Thanks

#6 ·
This is what I would try. You will want it to engage around 5,000rpm, so one of the Polaris Almond/XXXX springs should do. You could ask HTG and see how much or any lowend is lost with your engine vrs. stock. In the secondary clutch, just put in a Polaris silver/blue spring and I would go with a helix with no more then a 46 start angle, any more with 21/39 gear and it will just spin the track. A 44 start will probably work better for hook up. Then end it with 36 degree angle, and use a full progresive helix. As for wieghts use what ever will get you to 8600 rpm just after launch. It will probably be around 62 gram wieghts? What clutching parts do you have now?

#7 ·
BattleStorm said:
This is what I would try. You will want it to engage around 5,000rpm, so one of the Polaris Almond/XXXX springs should do. You could ask HTG and see how much or any lowend is lost with your engine vrs. stock. In the secondary clutch, just put in a Polaris silver/blue spring and I would go with a helix with no more then a 46 start angle, any more with 21/39 gear and it will just spin the track. A 44 start will probably work better for hook up. Then end it with 36 degree angle, and use a full progresive helix. As for wieghts use what ever will get you to 8600 rpm just after launch. It will probably be around 62 gram wieghts? What clutching parts do you have now?
Right now I have HPE orange high engagement spring. I don't remember what weights are in it but I beleive they are stock storm sks. The secondary has a silver spring with straight 36 helix.

#8 ·
I was acually going to suggest the HPE orange spring anyway so keep it in. Just stay with what you have untill the snow flys. I don't know what stock sks weights are, probably 60s or 62s. If you leave everything and just change the weights to get 8600rpm and with 21/39 gear your sled will haul. In the mean time try to get a 44/36 full progressive helix. When my stockish Storm had 21/39 gear, straight 36, 121 1.25 ripsaw track it would run from stock XCR 800s, put 30 yards on them in a 1,000ft. You don't need allot of start angle on the helix when you have lower gearing.

#9 ·
With the hpe orange spring in it last season the engagement was at about 6,200rpm. I don't want it to be that high this year. I was really tearing up alot of stuff including many motor straps. It felt great when it took of though. I was thinking about 5,000rpm would be good. Do you know a good place to get the helix that I should be running? What about secondary spring? Should I stick with the silver? THANKS ALOT.

#14 ·
So you had the Polaris clutch on it with the 6,000 rpm engagement? I don’t have any experience with comet clutches. I know they are very similar and I believe the springs are interchangeable and maybe the weights? Not sure. If it were me I would stick with the Polaris clutch and sell the comet on ebay. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

#15 ·
Yes with the polaris clutch and the 10-64m weights and the HPE orange spring it engaged at about 6200 rpm. Something was wierd with the sled last year. When I would nail the throttle from a dead stop it would pull up to 8000 and then drop back down to 7000 rpm and just hang there. After about 1/4 - 1/2 mile of wide open throttle it would slowly come back up to 8000 and just pull like mad. This sucked because for that period while it was at 7000rpm it would only do about 75mph and sit there forever. What would make it do that? The sled would just kill people off the line but in the midrange they would go by me like I was standing still. But if we had about a mile stretch or longer I would eventually pull back past them.

#16 ·
That is weird? There are many reasons why it could of ran that way. Dirty clutches, worn clutch springs, something binding in the clutches, improper belt or clearance, misaligned clutches, engine not jetted correctly….. It probably started pulling more rpm at ¼ mile because the sled ran out of gear and the clutches were fully shifted out so all it could do was pull more rpm. That clutch set up for the new cylinders is aggressive and if the engine wasn’t running its strongest it may have just not of had enough power to pull that clutching.

#25 ·
What's the fastest you've heard of an old Storm going?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.