Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother removed his muffler with the intention of installing straight pipes. before he put on the straight pipes he started it. man in was loud. then shut it down for a bit. but when he started it again it didn't sound like it was poppin. almost like key wasn't turned. then we primed it and it fired right up. nothing this sled usually will start on the first pull.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad I was supposed to ask if having no backpressure would do this to his sled. I guess I was pumped up to tell the story

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Originally posted by crimsonride
[br]I bet that's pretty loud. Does it give you a good boost in power?
doubtful. 2-strokes used a tuned exaust chamber to pump more air/fuel into the motor. A straight pipe will make much LESS power than a properly tuned (quieter) pipe...

Rocket, your 2 cents?

·
Registered
840 Posts
ripperd2 stands correct. If you want to run a different sound sled, get an aftermarket pipe or can. Do us a favor, do NOT run your sled straight pipe and have it affect other people. Its a last thing we need for people to complain about some idiots who rides loud sleds and lose the trail rights. Be respective to fellow neighbors and enjoy the winter sport. WL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No money for a (quiter)tuned pipe. besides where I ride it is all paper mill land. no houses for miles therefore no one to complain.

as for calling me an idiot I will let it go. just keep the personal attacks to a minimum. thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
just ductape a piece of PVC tubing onto the snout, a 90 deg elbow and out the top of your sled, should give ya a damn nice rumble.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
This thread is scaring me.

If taking off the stock pipe and putting homemade pipes one will make the sled run worse, why would you do it?

Even if you don't have a lot of money your time would be better spent finding ways to make the sled run as good as it can in stock form.

Here's a link from EPI that has tech tips that you can do for little or no money.

http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/pages/tech.htm

Check it out you might learn some things, I did.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its not much of a performance sled anyway. it is a second sled just to mess around with.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Its not worth it unless you're planning on buying a second-hand set. I do not believe any manufacturer makes them anymore. PSI might have some old stock laying around if you gave them a call. Properly tuned straight pipes will add significant hp...but you probably won't be able to drive without ear plugs. You've got to remember hearing loss is progressive, you can't get any back you've lost already..I was planning on adding straight pipes to my triple, but in the end decided not to, it would have been a pain to tune all the time...and lastly I'm a rider not a racer...

check out the topic on it [urlhttp://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4771&SearchTerms=,straight,pipes][/url]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts