Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get them for a Polaris?.....looked all over the net...a cheaper place would help......

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
what do you mean straight pipes?
if you are talking no muffler you dont want that,
if you are talking putting on individual stingers for twin or tripple pipes you can find them from price performance.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you've never heard of straight pipes?...though I may be in the wrong here, as many people have different names for different things...sorry if you didn't get the idea....but they are usually found on mods....coming out the side of the cab, through cut holes........

·
Registered
671 Posts
to find them u gota look around or have them custom made, but why do you want them, they are very loud, and if u just cruis around, ull get sometickets

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by xlt
[br]to find them u gota look around or have them custom made, but why do you want them, they are very loud, and if u just cruis around, ull get sometickets
I live out in the (as they would say) the boonies.....Quebec, Canada...I'm planning on furthering the performance of my Mod 600...

·
Registered
837 Posts
if you put streight pipess on you will lose performance this is not a 4 stroke like on a car, the muffler on a snowmobile palys 2 roles, muffling the sould and creating back pressure, and with out a muffler you motor will sound like a cannon going off every time a cyclinder fires, and that can be aroung 16000 shots a minute, but if you want to see how it is pull the muffler out and see how it is, just make sure the end of the pipe doesn't piont at anythin important that you don't want to melt

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
exactly...you'd have to wear ear plugs just to start it

Aftermarket pipes effect how the sonic waves reflect back and if done right it will increase power...these companies know how to get horsepower and an amatuer cannot duplicate this. If you want pipes you'll pay plenty to get them. PSI, SLP, AAEN are just a few of the aftermarket companies

·
Registered
502 Posts
not to contradict myself or anyone else here, but have any of you ever been to some drags, or ovals back in the day. ?
A good set of properly made pipes with out a silencer can produce good hp numbers. Straight pipes that is, but they are very loud

Matt: this is not an entirely true statement"if you put streight pipess on you will lose performance this is not a 4 stroke like on a car, the muffler on a snowmobile palys 2 roles, muffling the sould and creating back pressure"
Please research this a little more.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It also may not be as fair to other people you ride with. I was stuck riding beside a guy on saturday whose exhaust system came off and it was dang loud for me riding beside him. I would talk to the other people that you ride with a lot first and find out what they think of them. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if its a mod sled the open pipes might help make power!!!

I had some loud stingers on my xlt, it was great around town and when you pulled into the gas station, people would look and wonder what you had under that hood.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Gnarley Boots it's not necessary to run open pipes. Aftermarket companies produce pipes with silencers on that will put out almost the same amount of horsepower as open pipes. And their not as anoying to listen to as open pipes. I think to be legal for ISR rules in racing pipes need to be silenced. I may be wrong but I don't think so. Mattgross open stingers on pipes is all the racers use to run up untill about 10 years ago. Riley

·
Registered
837 Posts
yeah and thats on a full mod motor, and whjy would anyone want to do it on a trail sled, even if he plans to do more stuff what an anoyance and a bad look for the snowmobile community, no bady want to hear a super load machine, snowmobile are loud enoguht with out us making them louder, so lets through all the performance stuff out the window and down to one of the main points is they are to loud, why should we give the greenies anymore ammo?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by Gnarly_Boots
[br]Where can I get them for a Polaris?.....looked all over the net...a cheaper place would help......
I think we should just answer his question rather than start an argument out Greenies and noise.

Gnarly_Boots: the first thing we need to know is what exact model, and year 600 do you have??? And also, what is it that you want to achieve? More power, or louder, or what? We'll help you out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
all he wants to do is futher the performance of his sled, and a different silencer will ork better, he doesn't sound like he want ot make a full race motor or something, he just wants more performance.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mega-man for understanding...original motor is 95 XLT 600...want the pipes for a performance gain...sound gain also (yes Mattgross some people do like that sound, I being one of them)...and no its not going to ridden on the trail...what kind of weight am I looking at compared to a stock pipe with canister?....I've also heard gains of over 25hp+ from these...any truth to be heard about this gain?......and finally where can I get them?

·
Registered
837 Posts
25 yeah right you've been lied to may 5-7 and thats what a canister does, canister is half the weight of stack at least and the pipes will be about 1/3, hey and have you tried taking the stock can off to see what it sounds like? and then rev it way up with out ear plugs and see how much you like the sound then

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've seen gains of 18hp+ on the DYNO.. (no not what some billy on the street told me..) on the dyno from custom made pipes.. mind you you aren't going to see that unless you have the motor work to back it up.. No custom made pipe on any stocker is going to give you that increase.. end of story.. but if you are getting into racing (which I assume you are) and need custom parts.. Get in touch with Ian Tomasi Racing they can get you the pipes you desire.. or build them if need be.. but when you get into custom stuff, it comes with a custom price tag.. Also straight pipes are crazy loud.. so if you plan on doing anything other than drags you might want to consider a differ route..

They are located in Bowmanville Ontario, Canada..
(905)263-4868.. Jerry is the guy to talk too..

Regards,
650indy

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
SLP makes triple pipes that claim +23 HP.

http://www.slp.cc/Polaris_Catalog/xltpipes.html

There not exactly cheap, but you pay for performance. You may be able to find some used SLP too. They were pretty popular with odler XLT/XCR models. The reliability will probably go down some too, because those mono-block triple engines weren't meant to spin at 9000 rpm all day long. Just a word of caution. Most triple pipes added to a stock engine will abviously raise HP, but it also raises the peak RPM in order to acheive the power the pipes were designed for.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i can believe 18 on a modded motor but this is just a guy that heard it from someone and wants it on his sled, thats what im getting from what he said, and its not the way to go, but if he wants it im not going to stop him im just saying it wont work on a stock motor and the only reason someone wants them is eatier they think it good or they want to make noise, and he can do a lot of other things to make power before he would need a open exhaust

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by mattgross
[br]i can believe 18 on a modded motor but this is just a guy that heard it from someone and wants it on his sled, thats what im getting from what he said, and its not the way to go, but if he wants it im not going to stop him im just saying it wont work on a stock motor and the only reason someone wants them is eatier they think it good or they want to make noise, and he can do a lot of other things to make power before he would need a open exhaust
Ok...whats with all these opinionated assumptions?...when you make an assumption...you make an ass out of yourself and umption...what I like...and what I do...is my business...I asked this question primarily on where to find this product...not for a lecture on why you despise them or why they hurt the snowmobiling commmunity...if I wanted your opinion on their affects towards the environment I would of asked...whether or not you like the sound matters nothing to me...I like it...(and yes I've heard them countless times before)....I'm just making a point....there is no use arguing with you over your issues with sound etc, because arguing over the net gets nowhere fast....thank-you Mega-man I will look into it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts