Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue actually started last season, over the summer I had installed a Ripsaw track and a 8" wheel kit on my 03 ProX 700. Well I like to run my tracks pretty loose, and after several hundred miles (basically after the new track broke in) I noticed a clunking sound on deacceleration. At first I thought it was ice or something in the tunnel. After some investigation it looks like the track was actually climbing up on the drivers. Like they were out of synch or something. Well I found a half assed fix was to just run the track tight, to tight for my liking... almost very hard to turn by hand.
So today I'm out working on the sled and since there is no snow I figure I should address this issue again. Has anyone seen anything like this ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have, it happened on my buddies 96 v-max, but his was wrapping under the drive gears, he had the wrong pitch for the gears vs what was on the track, with the track being loose it would stick to the gears, eventually it ended hooking itself to the slides causing it to stop very quick, pretty funny to watch (he went over the bars)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ive had that problem and just continued to leave the track a lil tighter then normal, had no problems for over 2000 miles and then a stud tore out. but i dont assosiate the stud loss to track being to tight. i dont know what you call TOO tight. but mine was still reasonable. could it also be you clutch backshifting to rapidly for that track? causing a hard deceleration? im not saying this is the problem. im just wondering anyone elses opinion. maybe this was the problem with mine. i did have the clutch set for very aggresive trail riding.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I can definitly see the problem happening when i roll the track over by hand. If your looking where the track and driver meet for instance, you can see the driver against the "front" lug on the track and as I rotate the track you can see the driver start to hit further and further away from the lug til the "rear" lug tries to climb over the lug. Kind of like they are out of time. I haven't check to see if I have the right pitch yet. I will do that tommorrow, although it would seem like if the pitch was off the problem would happen on all three drivers not just the one. Since there isn't any snow in my area and won't be for a while I might just end up adding the Wahl anti ratcheting drivers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured the problem out. I did some research and found out the track I bought was used on the newer Arctic Cats, no big deal right.....well the specific one was the T660 and that track has something called "quiet drive" which uses a different driver than what I have. So switching over to the Wahls "anti ratcheting" drivers will fix the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts