Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided the other day that I was finally going to put new seals and gaskets in my 400. But when I was taking off the clutch I thought it would be a good idea to use a impact gun. Bad choice it striped out the threads inside the clutch for the puller. Any ideas on how to get the clutch off now????

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm surprised it would strip the threads inside the crank and not the clutch puller. The crank is so much harder then the puller. Good luck Riley

·
Registered
777 Posts
the puller threads into the clutch,and pushes against the crank

kinda a drastic but,find a nut to fit the puller,and weld it to the staionary sheave and try again,,,,the clutch is kind of screwed any way if the threads are pulled out

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you're going to call the clutch a loss... (which it pretty much is if the threads inside it that the puller threads into have striped)..... Just use a a 3 claw gear puller and heat the middle/flat area on the clutch with a propane torch... also helps to hit that area with a brass punch as you tighten the puller and heat it up (ie. a turn on the gear puller, then heat, then a few wacks, then a few turns etc.)

Just know that if you use a gear puller (or weld a bolt on) you're making the clutch officially un-usable......However.....
I guess the other option is not to take it off (as long as you can still bolt it to the crank)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just went to the local polaris dealer and I had some good luck. The owner or the shop has an old blown 400 in his garage with a good clutch on it. So he said that he has a sure fire way to get the clutch off. ( he has done it twice before) and that he will sell me his old clutch for $30 and he has all new weights and rollers for it (still in a box). and all i have to pay him is the $30 for the clutch and a case of beer. So I think im getting a sweet deal. AAAAA the powr of beer.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What kind of beer?

Sounds like a good deal. I hate it when stuff breaks while you are trying to do the right thing. Of course using an impact wrench, well.....

I once broke a valve cover bolt on my car and was so pleased when I managed to ez-out it that when I put a new one in I broke that too. Doh. Believe it or not, it came out ok too. I never broke another one. (Sold the car).[B)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts