Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i started the carbs on my zrt600, and one of my choke plungers is stuck in the carb, i've got it threaded all the way out, its just stuck, any suggestions that wont ruin the cable or the carb?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ugh, I feel you rpain. I just went through the same thing. I tried EVERYTHING! And I had the luxury of being able to cut the choke cables since the level was snapped and I had to replace the entire cable. I wish I had better news for you, but two of the htree of mine never did break through and I ended up replaceing the carbs. I tried everything from regular penetrating oil to PB Blaster (which works much better as a penetrating oil than anything else I've tried, but did not work on the chokes) to battery cleaner to soaking them for a week in a gallon of ChemDip carb cleaner.
The best advice I have is to try the PB Blaster , spraying some down in there from the top where the cable goes in as well as shooting some down the air tube bored into the body of the carb and the output tube on the reed side and hope for the best. You may be able to get a small screwdriver down into the notch in the top of the plunger and wiggle it loose after soaking. I wish you better luck than I had.
If all else fails and you have to cut the cables, check ebay and hiperf.com before ordering a new cable from the dealer, the list price is about $70.00, and 2 days after I paid that much for one, I saw one on ebay that ended up going for around $15.00 with shipping. If I remember right, hiperf.com has a triple choke cable for $22.95, but they were out of stock when I needed to order mine.
Good luck-
Greg

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a triple choke cable off a 800 zrt should work shouldnt it?, and once you cut the cables, how'd you get the plunger itself out of hte carb?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check Brown's leisure World and see if the part numbers for the choke cables are the same. I think our sleds have 36mm carbs, and the 800s have 38mm, but I could be wrong. If the carbs are the same size, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work, but if you check the online parts fiche at Browns, you'll know for sure if the numbers match.
As far as mine, I didn't get them out, I junked the carbs. I got a set of three from a guy on another forum for $35.00, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.
I cut the cables a good ways up from the plunger, then unthreaded the cable end from the adjuster and slid the adjuster & spring up and off, so all that was left was the inner cable with the ball on it, stuck underneath the plunger.
Here's a link to the parts fiche, hope it helps.
http://www.brownsleisureworld.com

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i'll have to look into it, thanks for the help, it'll be a day after xmas project

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You can get the plungers out by running a self tapping screw into them and then using the screws to pull the slugs out (you can get a hold of them with vicegrips). That way you only have to replace the choke cables and plungers instead of the whole carb.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
figured it out, i let it soak in pb blaster for a couple days, and then i loosened the nut and the threaded part all the way up, took a small pick and got the spring out of the way, and held it there, took a small slotted screwdriver and turned the plunger back and forth till it broke loose, came out and neither the carb or the cable is damaged, i screwed up the spring a little bit but i've got about 10 of them in my box of random carb parts so its not a big deal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts