Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a chaparral thunderbird 440 that is stuck. The plugs were only screwed in hand tight and the tarp blew off it sometime over the summer and now the piston(s) are stuck and I need any suggestions anyone may have as to how to free them up. I have pulled the plugs and squirted a fair amount of knocker loose lubricant down each cylinder and let it soak and in and she is still stuck. Is my next step to pull the head off. I am fairly mechanical but have never done this before. Is there a good book that can walk me thru a rebuild if necessary. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. This machine always ran good before and I just want something to give the kids rides on this winter ,,,,Thanks Dave

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
take a wrench, and put it on the primary clutch push it up or down and see if that frees it up, i could be wrong on this, so correct me if i am

·
Registered
553 Posts
Try filling each cylinder up with regular transmission fluid and let sit. When and if they come loose then pull the cylinder drain plugs on the bottoms of each cylinder to drain all the fluid out. This wont hurt anything and usually works from what I have experienced. Good luck- and WELCOME
TXC..

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you just want them loose, coke could do the trick. I don't know about the damage it could cause, but the acidic coke can loosen the grip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts