Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before in bits and pieces of other treads, but I was hoping to centralize some info concerning plastic backers.

Originally I was totally agianst them due to hearing horror stories of them breaking and losing your studs. But the more I've read into this, I've been hearing more and more people saying that they're great, and haven't had any problems at all with them. I plan on putting 120 studs in my sled before the riding season really starts up. So I wanted to hear everyones opinion's AND personal experience with the plastic backers. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the square plastic backers on my sled, they've been there for 4 or 5 seasons, had no problems with them. I just put round machined aluminum ones on my daughter's sled. Price was right!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have Fast Track round plastic backers and have not had any problems. There was a guy in another thread who said they do not hook up like his square aluminum backers. I am just looking for a little extra traction on hardpack and ice. Not going to hook up great with 1.25" paddles anyway. I was short of backers so the dealer installed a few with the combination nut/plastic backer. These all broke! Don't use them. Otherwise plastic is obviously OK. The question is hook-up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when you talk about "hooking up", I'm assuming that we're talking about the stud here an not the backer. The backer doesn't help in traction does it? Its only to help hold the stud to the track (with help from the nut).

I have heard of diamond backers, that are thicker than normal round ones, and have a diamond or star pattern on them. These state they help with traction.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think they make some backers that have those wedges or whatever on them, and they are supposed to help traction a little bit I think...but I'm not sure. I've seen these other things, dont think they are backers but they angle the stud back so they hook up better w/ a better angle. Seems really good for take off on like drags and stuff...but when slowing down again on the trails or something...doesn't seem like that'd be a good idea.
How bout them new things that screw into the lugs...how are they? They seem kinda dumb to me, but maybe not. My uncle was thinking about throwing those on his F7 this year.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would think if the plastic bent under force it would affect traction? Of course if that was happening they would eventually break to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts