Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight... im gettin a new Rev(as of the moment) and i need studs. I just dont know what kind, if only there were 1 kind for everyting. Anyways, i was thinkin of either 96 or 144 stud, leaning towards 144 becasuce i will be on ice sometimes, but i also have alot of road crossings in WI. ANyhelp would be apprechiated!

·
Registered
528 Posts
How may studs is dependent on the size of the sled and your riding style.

Carbide trail studs are probably your best choice and I prefer stainless steel because they don't rust.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've been researching this same thing, and searching around on this forum is a good start. Theres has been many topics started about which brand of stud to buy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you ride really aggressive you will want a minimum 144 studs, you may even consider 168. If you only put in 96 you'll probably wreck your track.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
With the 600 REV, I'd personally go with 120 Woodys Megabites up the middle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had 144 Woodys Mega Bites in my old sled last year and after the whole season they didnt wear mjuch at all. I just bought 96 Woodys Mega Bites for my new sled this year.
Definitely a good pick.[:)]

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
For what you pay for Woody's studs their warranty sucks. Stainless steel studs are the way to go.

www.sabertraction.com

http://www.richmotorsports.com/extrememax.htm

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I get Woody's CHEAP at my local aftermarket dealer. [:D] I'd never pay what they ask from Woody's directly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go with roetin's, The megabites last long but don't hook up that good(from what i've seen) plus you will cuss with every megabite you put in if you don't hold the allen wrench perfectly it will strip, even when you do they strip. Roetin's last long and are the best carbide stud on ice(once again my opinion).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Originally posted by 98mxzx440
[br]i was thinkin 144 gold digger
That's exactly what I have in my sled works great..

I bought the cheapies instead of woody's once..
first ride the half the tips were gone and they looked like mushrooms instead of points..

I always learn the hardway.. :banghead

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmmmm, I had absolutely no problems what so ever in installing my Megabites. You just have to make sure you're allen wrench doesn't have any slop in the head. If it does, get a new one.

And as for hooking up, well I can say from personal experience that they hook up increadibly well. Obviously not as well as chisel tooths, but definately one of the best carbide tipped trail studs out there.

I know others that are running them with the same results. Take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My buddy put them(megabites) in a mxz 800(144studs), they were horrible on ice, in fact we wouldn't let him run anymore cause it was destroying the ice, then nobody else could hook up. They work good on hard pack though. Another bud had them in a f7 same as above, lost alot of money cause he replaced them with roetins and there was no comparison. If you plan on doing any radar runs or any ice racing steer clear of them. You can't go wrong with roetins, there durable, very sharp and just flat out hook up on any surface, plus there coated so they don't rust.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally posted by indytriple
[br]you will cuss with every megabite you put in if you don't hold the allen wrench perfectly it will strip, even when you do they strip.
I posted this in another stud thread, but it seems fitting here so I'll post it again.

"The Woody's instructions say to use a 5/32" allen wrench. I was checking out my studs and noticed that the 5/32" wrench had some slop to it. Just for kicks I tried a 4mm allen wrench and there is no slop at all."

I haven't installed mine yet, but I plan on using the 4mm. The 5/32" wiggles all over the place, but when I stick a 4mm in the end I can literally hang the stud from the end of the allen wrench and it doesn't fall off... Snug as a bug in a rug...[:D]

Just my .02
-Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
stainles fast trac top gun II's or rotiens.
Had a bad experance with sabers.
with a 600ho, I'd lean toward 144.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I would use 120 Gold Diggers, I got the cheap studs for my sled the first ride I lost about 20 or 30 tips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts