Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out on my 1989 yamaha exciter that the heat exchangers are actulay the protectors because they are aligned over the track windows. the ? is the track i got for this sled has a unusaly stud pattern like the 96 pattern but like he didnt use one of the pattern things just stuck them on so now for my front and back heat exchangers how do the little bars they sell as heat exchanger protecters work and where do i have to align them to make them work? heres a picuture of what i mean
/snofan/../images/users/exciter_man/stud pic.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
The protectors will go right over the track windows i think, at least, thats how all my doo's are. Not sure about older yami stuff.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
No, the heat exchangers are over the the track windows on the old Exciter 570's. I studded the center belt only for my father's. Then put the tunnel protectors over the outside belts.

For his riding style (slow and easy) and the amount the sled gets used (hardly at all), its fine that way.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
If the heat exchangers are in line with the track windows ,why would you need protecters for them?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the front and back heat exchangers are what i am worried about what keeps them from gettin messed up

·
Registered
324 Posts
I messed up my front exchanger on my zr600 after I had it studded. I put the protectors over the track in the tunnel and never protected the heat exchangers. Some buddies and I were out jumping and after some serious air we had stopped and I noticed some green lines in the snow. Big hole. spend the extra bucks and protect everything.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]If the heat exchangers are in line with the track windows ,why would you need protecters for them?
On the 1990 Exciter 570, the tunnel heat exchangers are between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick (much thinner than the exchangers on late model sleds). Granted the studs only pertrude 1/4 beyond the track lugs, but the tunnel protectors are about 1 to 1/2 inches thick. By installing those, it just gives a little more piece of mind that the studs won't rip into the tunnel on a hard landing. Probably could of gotten away with out them, but its just added security I guess.

On another note, If I'm understanding what indyman423 is asking, I'd say no. You don't want the tunnel protectors above where the studs are in the track. If they were, the studs would then rip into the tunnel protectors, and could break the studs. Thats why the tunnel protectors are usually installed over the track windows (where you obviously don't put studs). The tunnel protectors are tall enough so that if you bottom out, the track clips on the windows rub on the protectors, and there is still enough space between the tip of the studs and the tunnel itself to keep them from ripping into the tunnel.

This is all assuming I'm reading the question correctly. [;)]

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so when i put the proctectors on for the front and back exchangers line them up over the track windows then ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts